NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
tonyclams

Hi,

Very easy fix.

Normally when this happens you mix another batch of epoxy (measure carefully) and apply another coat. After spining the blank for 4 hours let it sit for 2 days and all should be well.

Since epoxy cures due to a chemical reaction it will bound to and cure the previous coat of epoxy.

Make sure the area to be coated is clean, especially since it has been a long time between coats.

It will work out fine.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
15 Posts
right way

I have repaired rods like this before. Cut off the wraps and re-do the rod, trust me. The mix may not have been wrong, was it humid when you applied the flex coat? It can't be too humid, use a dehumidifier if you have to. If you go over what you have it will be too built up for one, and two, the undercoat will affect the new coat. Good Luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
While in a perfect world the best way would be to remove and rewrap the guide or guides the fix as explained by Capt. Neil will usually work fine, PS Humidity has little or no effect on epoxy cure time or set up, simple test most epoxy finishes will set up under water.
John

·
Registered
15 Posts
JohnB,

The key words you used here are "most epoxy". Flex Coat is humidity sensitive, if you want to do one of your tests, wrap up a rod in august and epoxy one guide in an air conditioned room and roll it till it sets up, then do another with your windows open on a humid day and roll it till it sets. I'm just trying to help out here, I guess there's always a guy looking to tell everyone else their ideas are wrong, are you him? I have built and repaired over 250 rods and I only use Flex Coat, I've been through the trials and tribulations of "THIS" epoxy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sticky flex coat

Grady you entirley missed the point Living in Florida I know a little about humidity and having been building rods for some 20 odd years using flex coat and others have never had a humidity problem even when I used to work out of my garage with no AC, what I have seen quite often in working in high humidity conditions is we the builder will rush not mix properly or measure incorrectly now either of those two conditions will cause finish to cure improperly. If the culprit is humidity it would mean that EVERY time the humidity hits a certain degree you would have the exact same problem and every rod built under those circumstances would also have the same curing problem and such is not the case.This reply is in no way an attempt to put you down as a builder we all learn from our own experiences and hopefully from others as well, disagrements in rod building are quite common, the sole purpose of these boards is to help others and or get info for ourselves and no replies should be taken as a personal afront.
John

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is direct from the manufactyrer of flex coat Roger seiders
Humidity is not a problem with the curing of Flex Coat. Humidity can cause poly amine blush which is a oil slick on the finish. Incomplete mixing is the number one cause of improper curing. Always mix your finish until it turns crystal clear with a small diameter non porous stirer. Please give me a call at 512-858-7742 M - F between 9-12 if you have any questions.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.