NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know where is a good place to launch a kayak where u can drive up to the water? when i yak by myself its really a pain in the arse...by the time i get it on top of my car..then get to the spot and take it off and carry it to the beach, im pooped. any areas to launch off of s.i. is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Magilla, think of all the calories you're burning.

I wouldn't know about SI, but that's the reason many guys have kayak carts. You wheel the yak to the water and depending upon the style you either bring it out with you or return it to the vehicle.

I especially like the style that breaks down and goes in the hatch. That way I always have it just in case I return smewhere else.

Last Wednesday was such a day. It was much to windy to paddle back so I put the wheels on and rolled back.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
staten island launch sites

hey magilla,

theres alot of places dude, at south beach in the parking lot..theres a nice gaping hole thru the fence that you just tote your kayak under the boardwalk and drag it 50 yards maybe to the waters edge..i like to tie a short rope to my bow, thus dragging it thru the sand..takes two trips..but no one is gonna grab yer stuff in two minutes, other places are lemon creek..which has a ramp, great kill harbor has a ramp, the conference house park an drag, hmm the foot of victory bld..not the ferry end but the other end out past the ua..theres some decent striper fishing at the con ed outflow durig the cold months...ssshhhhhhhh...you didnt hear that from me...at south beach its a striper meca..hoffman swinburne isles are right there..plus good trolling along the beach up past the vz bridge..well i think ive given away way too many spots..but really just get a good street map and do some detective work one day..oh yea one more..new dorp lane..good luck hope to catch you otu there one day..

·
Registered
644 Posts
grouse789

hi grouse789,

have you tried fishing con ed in the past 6 months or so ???
i went there this past winter by boat, and was greeted by 2 military boats with 50mm machine guns mounted on the front deck. i was told to leave the area, only commercial traffic was being allowed through. this was all due to 9/11.
i am wondering if things changed back there or they dont bother you in a kayak ?

·
Registered
644 Posts
magilla

i have parked my car in the lot that is attached to the boat ramp, i was there fishing on my friends trailered boat, i did NOT have a sticker on my car and i received a parking ticket. i was told that it is parking for car and trailers only and you need a sticker to park there. maybe during the week you could get away with parking there, but on the weekends you will probably get a ticket.

you should checkout the cartopper launching ramp in the park, if you come into the park the back way, about 250 yards after entering the park, it will be on your right side and there will be a sign.
i never checked it out myself, but i see people with car top boats going down there to launch. worth checking out.
go to millers field and get a permit to fish crookes point, this will allow you to also have access to the area near the mouth of the harbor, you could launch from that beach as well, a short walk to your car.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I LAUNCHED FROM THE "CARTOP BOAT LAUNCH"YESTERDAY AND BESIDES NOT BEING THERE (ITS JUST SAND), I LAUNCHED DURING HIGH TIDE AND CAME BACK DURING LOW, BEACHED ON TOP OF A ROCK AND GASHED MY HULL...OH WELL AT LEAST ITS NOT A HOLE.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.