NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody fish the surf on Staten Island???
That is pretty much the only place I fish... and almost all of the reports at this site are about Long Island.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Matt,

There is a lot of guys around here that fish SI... I live there, but right now Jersey is the hotspot.. Come springtime and all through the summer, Staten Island has many spots that produce LARGE... Did you have any questions regarding SI or were you just curious if there were fellow anglers browsing this board?

ErikT

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Do not listen to ErikT. There are no fish in Staten Island. It is a big dump. THey do not catch 40 pounders on chunks anywhere, and there are no guys who plug while everyone is catching on bait. Nobody in SI fishes at night from the surf either, they are too busy on Party boats slaughtering Schoolie's during the day.

I also heard if you swim on the beach your skin will turn green.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just for that Billy, KDOGG and I are drinking the High Life and you get a fresh 40 oz of Schmidts.. Now you will be an islander I can expect you to become a regular on the Atlantis Princess.. haha.. Be ready for Spring bro.. ANd I'm still gonna have you wrap that all purpose Boat polefor me.. I want a special wrap though.. Something bizarre.. Even more bizarre than Billy 40!

ErikT

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I almost typed Island Princess, but I think that is out of Captree. Atlantis Princess may be the site for my first Tuna trip next year.

Bizarre - who me? Or Mr. Richard Reed? Green rods are pretty!!

Schmidts & Miller = Yeeeuck!!! Now, OE is what you want to be drinking. Can I chuck 3oz Pencil Poppers while you're bait fishing? Please?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i was just curious if anyone was fishing the staten island beaches because i am practically limited to that in the spring and fall. Do you know of any spots that produce well for stripers and blues in the spring or fluke in the summer.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Matt17 wrote:
Does anybody fish the surf on Staten Island???
That is pretty much the only place I fish... and almost all of the reports at this site are about Long Island.

Hello Matt,

All you?ve got to do is ask!

Although I don?t fish Staten Island as much as I like to? I have several friends that pry the SI surf with great success! The same crew calls me every spring time and fall run with big reports.

Fortunately, this is a great time to scout around (low tide phases) and study your water surroundings. Look for structure, drop-offs, cuts and rips.

The fish will be there during the spring and fall run? but you really need to do a little research!

Come spring time... you should be ready! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx al
hey ErikT, do you have any preferred spots that you feel like revealing??? especially for the spring. And is there ANYONE else who fishes SI on a regular basis?

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Crazy - good advice. If you ever need a place to crash while fishing SI, I'm about 30 seconds from teh beach - once I finally move. All it wil cost ya' is a looksee into that little black book.

Erik - Shhhh!!!! Lol!!! If you tell we might get busted for drinking 40's on the beach, and that would suck!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Matt,

Some basic info is...

Around the end of March, you'll see the Bunker come in.. Snag what you need and dunk some chunks.. Great Kills park is at it's best in the Springtime.. Fish the bulkhead early and also the front.. My first fish came out of the harbor on April 8th last year.. Some had fish earlier.. That should get you started.. But seriously, there are a lot of spots on the island.. You'll figure it all out quickly.. word travels fast...

ErikT

·
Registered
35 Posts
Matt work the mouth of the harbor in early spring on the incoming but be on the front beach during the drop but GK isn`t the only game in town all the south shore beaches produce in the spring (I am speaking mostly about bass but the blues move in a little later in the spring) but I would suggest fishin north of GK alot more after mid June I really don`t fluke to much but the mouth is a good bet for them......oh yeah don`t listen to a word ErikT has to say that dude is shot,the guys he fishes with are even worse...........John

·
Registered
457 Posts
Great Kills (harbor & beach), Ward Point (tottenville), Seguine Point, New Dorp Beach, Fort Wadsworth & Richmond Terrace are all good spots.

The Harbor is great in the spring, but sometimes it pays to snag a few bunker & then fish away from all the bait. By May you'll have a decent shot at a 10-pound weakfish in the Harbor also.

Here's a Harbor Bass I got before work -

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanx everyone for the info. WOW SteveB you caught that in the harbor??? That's a pretty nice fish i usually don't see much fish that size comin out of the harbor. Were you at the mouth or the back of the bay???

·
Registered
457 Posts
Fish that size come out of the Harbor every year. I have caught them in the back (off the bulkhead), from the rocks near Nichols Marina, at the mouth of the Harbor, along the channel going towards Crooke's Point & along the front beach. I think that fish was next to Nichols - I'm not 100% sure.

See ya in the Spring

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

BTW - as far as covering Staten Island - I write reports for Nor'east Saltwater & I include information from most of the SI tackle shops in every report. Next season when you're in the bait shop, look for Nor'east in the magazine rack - it's free & it includes local info.

This message was edited by SteveByrne on 1-5-02 @ 8:16 PM

·
Registered
588 Posts
ha matt17 this is cat an i fished most of my season there in different spots ,tottenville-confreince house is good ,great kills,seguine,aslo south beach at night.{don't forget your eels}.

·
Registered
24 Posts
And to think, I had to learn a lot of this info for myself.. ****! Where's my handout? haha.. Matt, now you have all the info you need... Now just wait until March and you'll be in.. As for JohnnySI, he's the guy who shoots flares off on the beach to attract the "Big Girls".. haha.. If you ever run into him, call him "pineapple" he likes that..

ErikT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.