NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an advantage to a star drag over a comparable lever drag for any fishing application? I noticed Torque reels first came out with star drags (and only now a LD version). Is a star drag ever preferable, for instance for casting, jigging or anything at all?

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
josko wrote:
Is there an advantage to a star drag over a comparable lever drag for any fishing application? I noticed Torque reels first came out with star drags (and only now a LD version). Is a star drag ever preferable, for instance for casting, jigging or anything at all?When you change depth constantly or cast a lot, the star drag reel is much easier and convenient. However when you just drop jigs and crank like Japanese style jigging, it really doesn't matter whether you use a star drag reel and lever drag reel.
The real advantage of a lever drag reel is not when jigging, but when fighting as you can use preset drag,adjust drag pressure even fighing fish and go back to preset drag.

·
Registered
429 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
josko wrote:
Is there an advantage to a star drag over a comparable lever drag for any fishing application? I noticed Torque reels first came out with star drags (and only now a LD version). Is a star drag ever preferable, for instance for casting, jigging or anything at all?When you change depth constantly or cast a lot, the star drag reel is much easier and convenient. However when you just drop jigs and crank like Japanese style jigging, it really doesn't matter whether you use a star drag reel and lever drag reel.
The real advantage of a lever drag reel is not when jigging, but when fighting as you can use preset drag,adjust drag pressure even fighing fish and go back to preset drag.

I agree with all the points --- and there is one more that I'd like to add --- for bottom fishing --- I like the auto-engage spool feature that is found on the Japanese model conventional reels / Diawa Z models and Shimano Jigger: it automaticly engages drag upon turning handle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KILSONGWhen you change depth constantly or cast a lot said:
Sorry to be slow, but I still don't see it, although I suspected something like this was the case. Why is a star drag easier than lever drag in these cases? Is it because the spool disengage lever is separate from the drag mechanism?

·
Registered
826 Posts
IT IS ALL PREFERENCE!!

Each reel has its own PROS and CONS-

Lever drag -

You can preset the drags on all different marks on the side of the reel and know exactly how many pounds of drag you have.

You can easily engage faster on the troll.

There is a strike and full which is different but allows more pressure.

Star drag -

Can keep it locked at all times and never have to worry about it getting loose when bottom fishing if you fish with a locked up reel.

You have less to worry about on the retrieve as far as just hitting on switch to completely lock it.

There is times when both are appropriate.

I would never , nor have i ever except years and yearS ago trolled with star drags. Had to use the old card board under the frame! that works but takes some time tog et the drag right.

If you are going to buy a reel 90% of the conventionals are all lever drags now.. They hardly make the star to much except for on the penn 900 series. They still work well for bottom fishing.

BOTTOM LINE -

Bottom fishing with preset drag locked drag like fluke, sea bass and stuff alike you can get away with star drags.

Anything other than that like live lining, jigging, or any type of trolling i would highly recommend a lever drag reel!

THAT IS JUST MY OPINION IF IT MAKES SENSE! HAHAH

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
josko wrote:
KILSONGWhen you change depth constantly or cast a lot said:
The best way to understand is use both reels alternatively and you know immediately what I mean. :) To engage/disengage the reel, all you have to do with star drag reels is just click the lever, but you have to push it down or push it up with lever drag reels. Nowadays Avet or Accurate make good casting lever drag reels, but generally star drag reels are superior to lever drag reels for castability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.