NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Cpt. Neil
I'm looking at this St.Croix SWC80HF as a all a " all around " bottom fishing rod for private/party boat, blues, stripers, blacks and cod fishing. Also what is a good reel to go with it? In your opinion, is this a good rod for my game at all, if not will apreciate your advice.
Thanks Capt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mellow-Yellow
I used a St.Croix, SWC-80HF a few weeks back for blackfishing. I was using a 3/0 Senator with it, 30lb test. It worked great. I plan on buy this rod soon. I have a 3/0 Senator to use with it.

JackFish56 <*)))><

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Mellowyellow,
Hi. Looks like I have to get some new manufacturers catalogs. My St Croix catalog is outdated and doesn't show the rod in question.

Thanks to JackFish56, we have first hand info. He liked it enough to consider buying one. That is high praise.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey Neil,
I have the new catalog from the shop here and it is listed as a new rod for 2001. As far as it's use as an all around rod for saltwater, from what I have seen from this series of rods and customer feedback, when St. Croix says heavy action they mean it. This may make it a less desireable choice for some types of inshore fishing i.e. fluke and blues. Also the 8 foot length can be unnecessary and may even be disadvantageous. This line of rods however are definitly high quality, I would just choose another model such as the SWC66MF or MHF or SWC70MF or MHF. These are a little shorter and have not as heavy an action. Hope this helps, you chose a great line of rods.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Fencer04,

Thank you for the info help. Several years ago I found a great St Croix blank for blues, bass etc, and then it was discontinued. Bummer. So I moved on to another blank co.

You can understand why I say too many companies with too many great blanks. St Croix is definitely on of them. I have settled on Lamiglas and Calstar with some Seeker. I know some rod builders who only build on 1 companies blanks and do a great job.

I appreciate all the info you fellows contribute.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the advice. Fencer04, what you recommend makes sence, I think I'll "bite it"and put this model rod on my shopping list, what about a good reel to go with it, (I am righty but prefer to crank with my left hand, I rather fight the fish with my stronger arm the right one)
Please advise on a good quality reel (left hand)
Thanks to all and God bless America

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am unsure whether or not you can get it in a left handed retrive, but I love the 310GTI from Penn. I like my reels a little smaller in diamter than most because I don't really see the need for the extra weight when I rarely get a fish that is going to run me out of line. I am pretty sure that there is a 321GTI that is a left handed retrive, but as I said I am not sure if there is a version in the smaller reel. If there isn't and you don't mind the extra size then go for the 321. Hope this helps, look on ebay many times you can find brand new reels at unheard of prices. Saving some money on the reel helps when the rod is $170+ bucks. While your at it you might want to look for the rod. Tight lines.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Of all the rods I've ever seen / heard of breaking (snapped blanks) St Croix leads the list far and away. I'm talking stand up down through plug casting. They look and fish nice, but the blanks seem prone to breakage. Just my two cents..

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
I now own 2 St. Croix rods - 1 of them I've been using for 3 seasons thus far. Absolutely no complaints.

Using them for lures (8') & eel slinging (8 & 10')

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think that in many cases of rod breakage, it is contributed by the fisher-man's fish fighting/ hooksetting technique. Capt'n Neil can probably confirm this, but I have seen and I too am guilty (at times) for "high sticking" the fish and causing alot of strain on the rod. Not everyone can set the hook like Bill Dance on TV and expect to keep their rods in one piece forever. With my luck, one day it's gonna be a rock and the rest will be history.

This message was edited by mrsinbad on 2-28-02 @ 10:19 PM

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

A smarter more experienced person said,"Fishermen break rods not fish". Now if I could only convience a few people that this is true.

Capt Neil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.