NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin for some help. I have a 10ft ST.croix
I would like to put a foam grip just above where
the reel sits.I feel the way the rod is right now
that area is kinda thin in diameter and find that
I'm missing some leverage.I would like to put a
foam grip to make that area wider in diameter so it will be alot more easier to control the rod and
have more leverage.
Where can I find a foam grip I can slide on the
rod? I live in the Riverhead area. Where would be the closest place to find what I'm lookin for?

IBEW local 1049

·
Registered
113 Posts
IBEW,

Normally a fore grip is installed before the guides are wrapped in place. The ID of the hole in the grip must be smaller than the OD of the blank in the area where the grip will reside. This way the grip expands as it is pushed into place.

I gather the guides are still in place on your ST Croix rod.

The question is how do we install a foam (EVA) grip when the guides are still on the rod??

What is installed in front of the reel seat now? Cork tape?

This is what I would try. Find a grip that has the ID very close to sliding over the place it is to be installed. Using a very sharp razor, knife etc. cut the grip length wise BUT only thru 1 side. Now it will open like a book.

Now we have 2 options.

#1. Above the place where the grip will be installed, wrap wax paper or Saran Wrap around the rod to protect it from epoxy and/or the grip getting glued there. Place the grip over the rod.
You can check for a test fit. With this option we will use rubber cement to glue the cut area back together while it is on a thinner part of the rod (over the waxed paper. The grip will have the freedom to move. The rubber cement can dry without tension on the seam. Give it plenty of time to cure.

Check the grip. Remove the wax paper etc. The grip is free to move on the blank. Use a 2 part epoxy (designed for rod building) such as U40 Rod Bond ( a semi paste). Mix and coat the area of the rod where the grip will be placed and ALSO above that area so that as the grip is slid down the rod into place the inside of the grip will get coated with the epoxy. Push grip into place in 1 easy motion. Clean the grip and area to remove excess epoxy. Use paper towels and isopropyl alochol 91%. Let dry for at least 24 hours. Go Fishing!!

#2. If the grip seam opens up as the grip is being pushed into place, continue to put it in place. Get the epoxy smeared onto the cut area also. With grip in place, tie or tape the grip to hold it together. Let dry. Remove the tape or ties. Have a piec of shrink tubing ready to slide up from the butt, past the reel seat and onto the grip. Pre cut the tubing for proper length. Useing a heat gun install the shrink tubing. Go fishing!!

Sorry for the long msg.

Check your local tackle shops for the grip and if they build custom rods ask if they will do it for you at what cost.

Try: Rocky Point Fishing Stop, J&JTackle-Patchogue, Capt T's- Bayport, Warrens Tackle-Aquebogue. You can also contact me.

I am sure other rod builders have ideas on this subject. Please share them with us and we all can learn. Thanks.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more thing the rod I have is a 2 pc so there
are no guides on the bottom half of the pole.
So I wont have any problem sliding a grip downward
near the upper portion of where the reel sits.

IBEW local 1049

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help was able to find exactly
what I was lookin for.
I was able to remove the short foam grip that came
with the rod by sliding it thru with no problem.
Then took the new foam grip I purchased at J&H
put it under hot running water for a few minutes
then add some soap on the inside and was able to slide it above where the reel sits.
A perfect fit!!! What a difference now!
The foam grip is now longer and wider.
I feel I have better control of the Rod and no
more strain on my wrist.
Thanks again for your help!

IBEW local 1049

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.