NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drag on the second spool of my Penn ss5500 does not tighten no matter how tight I make the drag.

I have no problems with my first spool. This is a new spool that was never used before and everything looks fine. I popped the drag washers out and everything looked OK but I really don't know what it should look like.

Can anyone give some advise, can this be fixed? If so how?

Thanks
Harry

·
Registered
826 Posts
Washers in wrong order, one possibility. Two others:

---spool isn't fully seated on the shaft. Align the two slotted washers with the slotted part of the shaft and see whether it seats all the way---turn it backwards to hear the clicker--if you don't hear it, it's not fully seated.

---the guy from Penn left washers out of the stack.

Check your schematic. I'm not sure whether the 5500 has a 5 or 6 washer stack.

One other thing---make sure the retaining spring is there. The thin metal piece of wire that holds the stack in the spool.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sounds like your not putting the spool on properly after you removed it.Make sure all the washers are lined up with the flat sides being flush. Then place the spool on. Make sure there is no side to side movement on with the spool. If its on right there will be no movement. Good luck>--I ment the same thing but Mike said it better!!

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

This message was edited by bill on 1-28-02 @ 3:40 PM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spool was seated correctly so it looks to be a drag washer issue. I pulled down the daigram from the Penn website and will check the setup tonight.

If my memory servers me right I thing that my spool may be missing 1 washer based upon what the diagram shows..

Thanks for the advise.

Harry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the drag washers apart last night with Penn diagram in hand and everything is exactly correct but it still will not tighten down.

I'll be calling Penn later today but does anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

Harry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not the drag cap because I don't have a problem with my other spool. It is just a problem when I put this spool on the reel.

Harry

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem in beginning of the fall. Had a fish on end of a jetty. I could see the fish and couldn't hold it. The fish could pull of line and had me wrapped on a rock. I lost the fish, of course. Took the rod and reel directly to a B&T where I fish. The knot on the spool connecting the Fireline to the spool had let go. The fish was just pullin everything off. If thumbed the spool and got some of the line it held. Check the knot and add some plastic tape over the entire line and knot on the spool. Hope it helps. KISS

·
Registered
826 Posts
Aha---Chief might have figured it out---did you spool up with braid or Fireline? The whole load of braid might be turning on the spool. If you don't use a few yards of mono backing at the base of the spool, the braid won't grip the arbor and the whole thing will spin. It'll feel like the drag isn't working (ie tightening down) but the line will be turning on the spool itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make sure you take it to some one you know. I took the entire rig to 2 different shops before WE found the problem. It's was one that drove me crazy. Tightening down the drag and still be able to pull line off. Added backing, taped it down, repsooled the Fireline and went back to fishin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.