NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My name is John and I was wonering if you could give me more information about the squid fishing in Greenport. When does the season start and end? Where do you fish from, is it better to fish at night or during the day? I have a boat in the area, where would you suggest I fish for the squid and would you know how I would locate them? I know that I am asking for a lot of information but anything will help.
Thanks John

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know nothing about squid other than using it with spearing works well for fluke, and fry some squid up and I will be there to eat!

I know the railroad docks are very popular for squid fishing at night. Check in at AP Whites for help. They are always EXTREMELY helpful setting you up and heading you in the right direction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dont have info on squidding at greenport in specific other than that RR dock that Strike1 mentioned but I do know that most squidders tend to do best at night with the use of very bright lights and/or lanterns and squid jigs that you can find at most tackle shops. As far as the time of year I believe there is a strong run of them around memorial day. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I remember an article or some fishing reports a number of years ago, in the "other" weekly fishing rag, that talked about a bridge in the Greenport area, with bright overhead street
light(s) that was good for catching squid one or two weeks, each spring. It said to check with the tackle shops on the North Fork for the right week, each year (A.P. White's is probably the right place). Makes sense, since the biggest doormats seem to be caught in that area, around Shelter Island, each year during the mid-May through early June time frame. I always kept this in the back of my mind, because I felt I could fiil the freezer with a season of fluke bait, if I retire out that way someday.

The Frances Fleet (www.francesfleet.com) in Point Judith, Rhode Island is offering new squid trips this year. 7:00pm to Midnight, May 2 - 31, Fridays and Saturdays, $35.00, reservations required. Ask around...maybe some of the party boats on the North Fork and/or South Fork of Long Island will be offering squid trips too, this spring. Let us know how you make out. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A.P. White's Bait Shop

Has White's re-opened? To the best of my knowledge, White's did not open last year--at least it had not opened as of Labor Day 2002. The shop was for sale--does anyone know if Ruth sold it or whether it will open this season?

I agree with previous posts--they are very helpful at White's and Ruth is a gem.

Marlow

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The railrod dock in Greenport get very, very crowded with squid fishermen during the run. A lot of guys bring their Home Depot work lights to bring the squid in and use those fabric covered squid jigs in various sizes, colors, and weights. If you could find the room to throw a cast net, you'd probably clean up.

To do it from a boat, you need a lot of light, but some guys do it successfully to the tune of a couple hundred pounds in a night's work. I'm surprised that the North Fork partyboats don't run trips? They could kill em.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Whites Bait shop was closed allof last season! I'Ve never fished for squid but like was said the RR dock is the place to be! It is lighted-extra lights wouldn't hurt! I don't know how long the season lasts but It's worth a try! Art White -Ruths deceased husband got me fishing about 45yrs ago. I as a curious kid was wandering around the docks and stopped at Art Whites. He eventually came out -gave me a small hook, line and a little bait-I WAS HOOKED!!! A Fisherman for life! Ruth is very old know and seems like she has trouble getting around. The last few years she was there but it seemed others ran the shop for her.
Try it it shoulden't hurt!
Hipshot

·
Premium Member
68,838 Posts
Ray,
I really don't recall where I bought mine, they're several years old now. But Just about any tackle shop that hnadles the yozuri stuff might have them. I think I bought mine at Gone Fishing in Montauk, but it might have been star island or the marine basin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.