NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Al and congradulations on the forum its been a great read.......My question is in my(staten island) area in the spring, primarily all the big fish we (meaning the guys I fish with)get are on bait, we do get fish on artifiscials but rarely bigger than say 36" the bays and the beaches are usually loaded with big adult bunker at this time any tips on how to entice some of the big girls to hit the artifiscial stuff....oh almost forgot all of my fishing is done at night thanx for the reply Al PS those Montauk reports are still drivin me nuts got out last wed. might have to do it again

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
JohnnySI,

Although I don?t fish Staten Island much? I would still use the standard big fish tactics. Find the bait, find fish and work on presentation!

Another words, since there are big fish chasing big adult bunker? You need to think big surface swimmers (match colors, size and action) and retrieve it SLOWLY! I?ve had days where I?ve seen cows crashing on big bait? and all I did was toss a big swimmer and the strikes were explosive and heart wreaking. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
130 Posts
AL, if I may,
JohnnySI,
The experience I have is based on good freinds reports of LARGE bunker in an easily acessible bay(which is when I shhot to S.I.), namely Great Kills Harbor. I have had nice sized bass (mid to high 20 #'s) on plugs like the beachmaster cowboy and the large danny metal lip. It is hard to get them to bite wood with all of the bait, so you will have to think like a lethargic hungry bass swimming in cold water looking for an easy meal.
First, find the pod of bait, usually a week or 2 before the full moon in April should be a good bet. Get on the bait, and make a cast into the center of the bait(hopefully being harrassed and circling nervously) and SSLLOOWWLLY retrieve your offering out of the pod as if the bait is hurt, bewildered, and has no more sense of safety or direction, which is why he/she has left the safety of the pod, and has thusly become an easy target for mr/mrs cow to inhale.
Good luck and crank slowly, just enough to get the bait swimming.
Mike Lang

·
Registered
441 Posts
Johnny-

I live right down the road from GK Harbor & fish it intensely during the Spring. In fact, we have probably crossed paths down there (I fish from 3am until dawn every day during April & May). I know exactly what you are talking about when you say that all the action is on bait. Mike hit it right on the head. There is just too much bait to get the fish to eat much else. I have tried plugging while I was chunking ? big Danny?s, big 9? shad body jigs, big bottle plugs & darters in the current ? nada. Those big bass want bunker, so who am I to argue? Bunker heads are tops in my book.

If you have success with artificials, please let us know. Thanks.

See ya in the Spring-

Steve

This message was edited by SteveByrne on 12-11-01 @ 7:30 PM

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seems that when the Bunker are around and the blues are chopping them up on top, the Bass just sit on the bottom and await the easy meal.. I've watched guys plug religiously in the spring next to us Bait fishing and they would never catch anything.. I like plugging much more than Chunking but ya gotta do what works..

Steve, of course I know Arne.. The best mailman going.. I lived below the blvd next to little peoples world.. Big old brown house with big yard.. I don't know your uncle.. Also, KDOGG lived on Whitman ave for 22 years.. Small world..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Question for Mike L and Al:

Normally 99% of the guys where I fish in the Spring will be chunking, and no-one will be catching fish on plugs. Do you think if the role was reversed, 99% of the guys throwing plugs and no-one chunking would change the fish's eating habit? Just a thought we pondered one night on the beach.....

ErikT

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
ErikT,
That?s an excellent question! Let?s me put it this way?.
There was one occasion where my buddies and I were catching bass on plugs?. And a chunker noticed the action and decided to drop his cuts (chum) into the wash next to us (up current)?. And you know what? Party was over and we watched him bang our fish. That was very disturbing to watch.

Also, there was another scenario that happened this early spring? We followed a big body of fish swim over a bunch of chunkers and we were able to bang fish after fish and the chunkers had zero takes. I was sure they would have connected but go figure!

Generally I try to avoid that... I fish where there are no chunkers around with the exception of Gilgo and Jones.

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.