NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to the biggest blackfish dealer in the NY area the other day. At this time, their are no blackfish being caught anywhere, and that even extends down south as far as Virginia waters by commercial fishermen. At this time, we are experiencing a extremely cold winter and that the spring fishing may not start ontill the fish move inshore onto the beach. Usually that means the first blackfish being caught are using in the traps, before we see any fish biting a baited line. We might see at the earliest, a early to mid April start to this years blackfish season. We have been spoiled by unusualy warm winters the last few years, which led to many good catches in mid March. And with all the snow we are having and the resulting cold, fresh water runoff, its going to be another 2 months before we see any tog being brought to the dock.

EC NEWELL MAN*

(This post edited by EC NEWELL MAN on 02/10/2003)

· Registered
1,938 Posts
i have to wait how long to catch a fish?

sounds like my next trip fishing will be for winter flounder in mid-march. if worms are available then, that is.
****! theres gotta be somthing to fish for between now and then, right? resident river stripers at warm water discharges? herring and macks from boats? ling? anything?

· Registered
2,756 Posts
Nycman

If you gotta wet a line the 14 street turbine discharge the schooly Bass are usally hot tubbing year round there or try the the foot of the GW Bridge for Tommy Cods.
I remember as a kid filling up a bucket.
They may still be there.

(This post edited by sam843 on 02/10/2003)

· Registered
270 Posts
Hackensack Bite

NYCMAN

A buddy of mine has been C&R resident striped bass up in the Hackensack River for the last month. He told me the fishing has been good with many 10lb fish and that there were bigger fish mixed in. The problem that he's having is that the bass are breaking off on the ice build up along the edges of the river.

He told me that all the bass are fat and that shads in blue\black back on pearl are all that's needed.

· Registered
3,953 Posts
Where are the cod?

good Question Matt. I think this is a question with many mixed opinions and only time will tell which one is correct. I think it is not only the warmer winters we have had which moved them up north but also the Pressure from fishermen all a like. The problem is the small amount of fish that do come into our waters get caught up so fast they never have room to grow. These fish have moved up North after our warmer winters moved them there. Then the small body of fish that come back get caught up very fast. most of the cod you see caught now are what we call local cods and they don't get very big. Hopefully this cold winter will have some increase in cod to our area but it dosen't look good from what I am hearing. So the big question is will they ever come back on there own or do we need to stock our waters for the future?

· Registered
1,938 Posts
winter stripers

thanks, guys, for not calling me delusional with cabin fever (i am, tho)
lkylindy- i read that encouraging report last week, its what made me decide to give the warm water discharges a try, but i think northport is too far for me to go for a freezing day of casting lures,
sam843 u know exactly where i'm thinking of. thanks for the encouraging memories. ill be there on the next warm day trying my luck with mr bunkers and plastic shads.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
Back in late November when we had our first hit of snow I posed a question to the board pertaining to the possibility of increased codfish stocks if we have a cold winter. At that time we were only speculating on whether or not the winter would be cold, but now we know for sure. Codfishing didn't improve, thus it's not the warmer temps that are putting the breask to the Cod.

· Registered
2,756 Posts
the whole cod fish bio mass including across the Atlantic in Scandanavian waters has been diminished by over fishing.
Only with strict management of the present day stock no matter how painfull will bring back the cod to levels they were in the past

(This post edited by sam843 on 02/11/2003)

· Registered
1,621 Posts
I can't see how one cold winter in the last 4 or 5 years is supposed to affect Codfish stocks in New York/New Jersey. If the average water temps over the next 10 years matched what this winter has created perhaps then we might see some migration from Mass. But if these fish are netted or caught with rod & reel as quickly as mentioned above how could we ever expect to see decent Cod catches in our area? The Striped bass needed a helping hand and both commercial and rec fishing were put on hold for several years, that did the trick. Do you think that will ever happen with Codfish? Do you think the commercials from Mass will swallow that pill, I doubt it.

· Registered
3,953 Posts
Some tog caught

I read a report today from a party boat say he had some tog in 120 ft to 160 ft in the tip of the mudhole.Had fish to 9lbs. Also a handful of ling. it was no catch to speak about but just a few fish :( Man this cold winter has got them going deep. Guess only time will tell how the fishing will be.

· Registered
1,548 Posts
Billy40:quote:

Time to start sacrificing virgins.

Where's Gottog when you need him?

We could always sacrifice one of your rods as they don't get used or catch fish so that could constitute being a virgin ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.