NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like this so far:

May 16 @ 6PM, we will have a mini NE surf tournement. This is for bragging rights, as this will be a free event.... I started the idea for us surfcasters to get together similiar to the NE raft ups that have become popular with the boaters...

The tournement boundaries will be mid-Island, to allow the westerners and easterners to meet at a semi middle location, meaning the waters between and including Jones Inlet and Fire Island Inlet, up to the FI lighthouse...

Some will be competing heavily and moving around and fishing thier butts off, others, like myself will probably stay put and spend the night fishing half heartedly but having a good time getting to know others in the fishing community...the choice is yours.

We then will have a BBQ type gathering at 11AM, where we will have the striped bass weigh in. I also however, would like to have this as a "length" tournement, not weight. What I mean is an honor system. Preferably, a picture with the Bass against a tape measure will be acceptable at the "weigh-in" as I would like to also promote catch and release as well as catch and fillet. As there is no money involved, even a witness to the catch and measurement will be accepted, prior to release. The Striped Bass tourney will run from 6PM Friday May 16 - 11 AM Saturday May 17. This too can be a catch and release affair, measure your fish and release if you so choose, the winning fish need not be present at this "friendly" tourney...

Come for the BBQ only, show up early and get in on the tourney, or just come anytime and say hello.. I propose the "party" part of the tourney be at Cedar Overlook, as it has bathrooms, playgrounds for the kids, and it may be early enough to park in the Babylon lot without a hassle (after sunrise though) but not sure yet, details to follow, not sure if the bathrooms will be open either but will find out closer to the date and pass along any updates as I get them... The other option would be Democrat point area, but there are no playgrounds or facilities other than the 4x4's with portables, but that we'll have to work out closer to the date..

Sign Up List... please specify if you have a 4X4 and how many people you can take if you are willing to do so. If you don't have a 4X4 and would like to team up with someone who does, please specify that as well.

1. Likeitreallyis (4X4 - 3 spaces avaialable filled)(Frankiesurf, Snapperman and Snapperman's Dad)..
2. Walleyeman (4X4 - 2 spaces available)
3. ihavegills
4. surfstix (4X4 - 2-3 spaces available)
5. RichTrox (4X4 - 1 space available)
6. toyotaoffroad91 (4X4 - 1 space avaialble)
7. deadlydan
8. janus (4X4 - 1-2 spaces available)
9. snapperman
10. crazybass85
11. SurfaceStrike
12. PaddleOn (4X4)
13. Capt Pappy (4X4)
14. mako841 (4X4)
15. Keepitreel62 (4X4 - 1-2 spaces available)
16. mikeyreef (4X4 - 1-2 spaces available)
17. Frankiesurf
18. TIDALMIKE (4X4 - paired up with deadlydan)
19. legasea (4X4)
20. PhishOn1 (4X4 - 1-2 spaces available)
21. smedfish (4X4 - 1-2 spaces available)
22. flukeslayer
23. MaxKatt1 (4X4)
24. Deb (Riding with MaxKatt1)
25. cmk1974 (4X4 - 2 spaces avaialble)
26. HEADCHEF1971
27. Brian
28. wallyworld631
29. ocean46

Donated Raffle Prizes for LIBBA Fundraiser...
1. Hats,line,hooks,Knot booklets,scents,lures, etc. donated by gotafish.

2. A Penn 550SSG with the box donated by surfstix
3. A $25 J&H Fishing Outlet gift card and a new SS Little Neck Popper donated by walleyeman.
4. A $25 J&H Fishing Outlet gift card and a new SS Little Neck Popper donated by likeitreallyis.
5. The book A Season On The Edge donated by John Skinner.
6. 3 hand-tied 1oz smilin bill bucktails and a 2oz SS Yellow Needlefish donated by snapperman.
7. $25 J&H Fishing Outlet Gift Card donated by flukeslayer.
8. $25 J&H Fishing Outlet Gift Card donated by flukeslayer.
9. 2 Long Magnum Bombers, 1 1/2 oz. 1- green, 1- chicken and 5 spearing teasers (3- 4/0 and 2- 5/0 gama) donated by ihavegills.
10. Two custom plugs made out of Alaskan Yellow Cedar wood donated by LeoDA.

This post edited by likeitreallyis 09:31 AM 02/27/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Great idea Bob!
I had been thinking about doing something similar to that this spring (maybe mid-May) I was picturing us getting together for a BBQ lunch at a certain location and then we could all break up into groups and head out in our beach buggies for a fun fishing tournament. If people don't have a 4 WD they can still come and just team up with those who do (ie. I could throw 3 people in my jeep). We could even have some cool prizes for the winners! Just a thought. I know other groups have had gatherings similar to this.

How about calling it Hook-Up 2008! That would be hooking up with friends and fish, not you Bob ;) No need to freak out! :)

This post edited by walleyeman 11:26 AM 01/31/2008

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Start the lists and don't forget the food!

I'll be the first buggyless participant on the list but can bring some kick-a$$ smoked ribs, corn bread, cob and a vat of fresh coleslaw. Happy to chip in for gas too.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can also bring some people along, have room for a few,,,

Me freakout Kevin? When has THAT ever happened?

May sounds good as the soccer mom crowd will be busy with, well socccer

Demo sounds good, people without 4x4 can park at the old OBI and be picked up if needed..

A mini tournement sounds good.. Blues and Bass should be around

Just hanging with alot of you guys I met because of this site will be a great xperience in itself, share some setups and bait/ jigging styles, Also pulling in by the demo entrance wil be close enough to field 2 for some walk-on hardcore guys ...

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
May 17th, or May 24th? Any preferences? Where should we meet to BBQ and hang out? OBI parking lot, Captree Party Boat Basin parking lot (would have to pay to get in - they do have restrooms). Chime in gang!

This post edited by walleyeman 11:44 AM 01/31/2008

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am Soo OH IN !!! :)

Either of those May weekends sounds good. If the beach is not staked off for the birds, I would suggest Gilgo. Since I'm sure a lot of chunkin' will be happenin' while BSing this stretch has a history of some slammin' blues around that timeframe!!

Who knows, maybe we could even be there for the start of the ebb.

This post edited by surfstix 12:22 PM 01/31/2008

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Oh, I forgot

On the upside, the new truck can sit more than the TWO people the old Dakota could take!!!! I'll scoop up some folks at either location if needed. :)

As we get closer I'd think we can ask who's Buggied Up and who isn't so we can get everyone on the beach. :):)

This post edited by surfstix 12:26 PM 01/31/2008

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Spring Buggy Up!

Would this work? We can iron out some details as we go along (ie. when the tournament starts and ends, etc.)

Date: May 17th
Location: OBI Parking Lot (south side of Ocean Pkwy just west of the Robert Moses Bridge)
Time: 12 noon

After a tailgate BBQ, hanging out and talking fishing we'll head out for a fun surf fishing tournament. If you have a beach buggy great! If not, we'll have you team up with someone that does. Prizes will be awarded.

This post edited by walleyeman 12:58 PM 01/31/2008

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Factors

3 days before full moon, high tide somewhere between 6:15-7am depending on where it will be...... I'm thinking it could start in the AM to get on that outgoing and fish it till 11am. Then we can eat and relax without the pressure of fishing over head. Anyone who wants to buggy up and team up could meet at a designated place and time. I assume we're all early birds- 7am do-able?

Not sure I want eat like a slob at the BBQ and then hit the beach especially if alcohol is on the menu.

Though the sunset sounds good too
12-3 eat and party
3-7 fish?

This post edited by ihavegills 01:26 PM 01/31/2008

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
The boats call it a "raft-up".

How about "Spring 4X4 Raft-Up 2008"

This should get the spot burning threads going again

Someone can ride shotgun in my Blazer if needed.

-Rich

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am in wherever as well. I do have to say I felt as L.I.R.I. did and thought we could meet on the beach, circle the wagons so to speak. :) No need to setup up camp and then tear down to go fish as we'd already be there. :)

Has anything changed with the OBI lot?? I know SOL used it for gathering during some of their past flings but has use of this lot changed now that Babylon has their hands on it??? After all they have stopped (or tried to!! LOL) access to the jetty after dark. Are they breakin' em for big gatherings there???

This post edited by surfstix 03:26 PM 01/31/2008

·
Registered
361 Posts
That's sounds like a go for me even if it's not closer to the city! And I can carry one or two more in the Jeep! Would I/we need permits and if so where can I/we get them?

Les iii

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
last year the car guys hung out there every weekend so I think it is ok.. I was thinking about setting up camp along a beach for a day you're right surfstix... but I'm game for anything except great gun or CARRYING stuff like I did before the 4x4 thing..

Rich, Gilgo, Demo and the Sore Thumb have been burned so much that it is ok to mention it by name

There are little niches in there though that are usually empty and pretty productive...

If anything the Bluefish will be there all day long, and that sounds good to me after freezing my butt off herring fishing

That time of year we could have 3 categories:

Bass
Blues
Flounder

Snapperman you're always welcome in my buggy, I could learn alot from you I can tell..

1 - 20 of 525 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.