NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in here shoot sporting clays or trap/skeet? I'm gonna start back up next weekend, been reloading all my shells now its time to play.

·
Administrator
112,302 Posts
i used to do it yrs ago when you could go to a field with friends and kill a few cases of skeet.

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
I have 2 skeet machines at my house upstate. Havent shot my Franchi feather weight in a long time.
As far as the reloading never tried it. My pops did for a while.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Haven't shot in a while, but just got the call last night that I'm getting into Peconic River Sportsmans Club
I am psyched!! Been on the waiting list for almost 3 years now!!

They have an awesome sporting clays course!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fieldtester did you have to get sponsored to get in. I had someone that was gonna sponsor me but I never jumped on the opportunity. Suffolk trap and skeet has an unbelievable sporting clays course. This sport is getting costly again because now im in the market for a new over/under. Ruger red label looks sweet.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I try to shoot a few stations

after I'm done trapping up at Sandanona. I usually run out of time and just end up shooting a box off the wobble trap just so I can at least break a few targets. I did an office outing up there and everyone has been hounding me to do another one. They told my manager they would much rather go shooting up there than do a golf outing!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bruno,

Yeah, you have to be sponsored. My cousin is in the club and he sponsored me. I think they only allow 500 members, so you have to wait until someone leaves before you can get in.

They have rifle ranges, pistol, 3D archery, trap, skeet, you name it!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fieldtester they have a great 3D archery coarse if your into that. I shot there many of times, it was part of the 3D archery circuit that I used to do. I heard they had a great sporting clays coarse. They also get some real nice puddle ducks on the river in there. Good luck with the club.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
psycopanhead wrote:
i just had a friend give me a charles daly shotgun....i have an 870 remmington for years but i have never shot a daly..i thimk its a gun suited for clay and trap am i correct

It depends on which one. At one time or another a lot of different guns had the Daley name on them.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Fieldtester,

Congrats. My father is a lifetime member in PRSC. He's been trying to get me to join for years, but I have so many friends into the hunting and fishing we do around here, I haven't felt the need. I used to run my dog at the tower shoots there, ever since I was a kid. It's a nice place, but don't count on the duck hunting there too much. The last few years I have shot more birds in a season alone than that place has tallied for all the blinds combined. The lake and river needs some serious habitat restoration.

Steve, we go out to my friends tree farm every so often with four of five cases of skeet and a couple of hand throwers and have at it every so often. Even got the girls from work into now. I'll give you a call next time we go. Just went last weekend to brush a few folks up for an upcoming preserve pheasant shoot we're doing in Feb.

Sometimes dinner even hops or flies by.

And remember to pick up your shells.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
Did sporting clays once a few years ago.

Mostly we shoot at the cabin in Vermont.
There's a really nice ridge that opens to a large field where we shoot.
I had a bracket I made to hook my thrower to the front rack on my 4 wheeler.

I still have the launcher, but sold the 4 wheeler. We shoot about 6 cases of clays when we go between the 4 of us.

May be goin back up in a few weeks

My Wingmaster 12ga and 20ga shoot clays real nice........;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Chris where are you doing your pheasant shoot. I used to go to Catskill pheasantry. Let me know when you go out shooting clays I'll hook up with you guys. I'm gonna hit the sporting clay course hard every weekend as soon as duck season is over.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Steve,

Don't forget that goose season for the Western Suffolk zone stays open after duck season closes this Sunday. Goose is open till Feb 6. And then we get the late goose season along the North Shore from Feb 7 to the 14 with a bag of 5/day. Your spots are all in these areas so keep killing those honkers. Got a goose, a black and a widgeon this am. Funniest part of the hunt this morning was when my dekes iced in, and I had a black duck come dumping in next to them (after I shot my bird already), he was caught off guard when his feet went through the skim ice and he toppeled over on landing. I swear I could see the confusion in his face as to why all these birds were sitting in ice lol. Going West tomorrow morning to try and get some other birds. With the ponds freezing up, it should hopefully push some birds out onto the bay.

As for the pheasants, I have my father getting me 20 birds from the club and we're going to put them out ourselves on the property there and hunt em up. A little post birthday present to myself. A ditch parrot extravaganza!

I'm going to try to get together with Mike from the flag pole place this coming week and weld a set-up to mount the two ground traps I have to that will fit into the receiver of my truck, so we have a nice machine thrower to use along with the hand throwers. I'll probably be looking to try it out soon after so I'll call you when we do.

And since we're on the subject of a little duck hunting. . . here's a couple pics from Monday morning. I took one of my co-workers husband and 13-year old son out for their first duck hunt and found the brant to the West to be more than cooperative. The kid didn't complain once about the 20-degree weather.

This post edited by doughboy 01:07 PM 01/24/2008

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.