NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the time has come that my friend has begun shopping for a deisel sportfish. Since im more familiar with gas engines I thought it would be helpfull if some of you who own them might point out some things you go over on a deisel as well as the VESSEL itself before heading to the deep. Do most of you do a pre-trip inspection? I know I do even on local trips on my 25'. I thought even those of us who think we have it all covered might perhaps learn a new trick or two buy reading each others posts. I heard a story of a guy that went over every thing with a fine tooth comb except for the charge on his extinguishers...
:rolleyes:

Anyway...lets hear from you guys!

This post edited by BLUEFISH9 12:44 AM 01/03/2008

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Fixit

Gee, the charge on the extinguishers is the easiest thing! The window is in full view!

I have to look at everything... I have to work little miracles to get things to run in the first place.

I guess the first thing is familiarity and attentiveness to how things are- the way the boat sits, does anything look obviously amiss?

I usually 'test' the bilge pumps (to get the water out!).

Diesel motors I am not too familiar with... I guess most things would apply to all motors - check for leaks, salty water drips, odd stains, fluid levels, spare stuff (oil, belts, etc.), funky tempurature readings when warming up, exhaust cooling water flow.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
checklist

first, i open up the deck hatch, make sure all is good, not too much bilge water, no oil, not too many drips. (i have an old groverbuilt)
Then check the bilge pump(s)
next check oil, and coolant levels, check for drips and stains from oil leaks in the engine. check to make sure there isn't too strong a smell of diesel fuel, check belts, check everything else. Carry spare parts:belts, oil, coolant, etc, I carry the old fuel pump that we replaced just incase. (if you find out what engines they are you might want to check back here and see if anyone with the same engines has any suggestions.)
Then turn on the engine, check exhaust, engine temp, oil pressure, etc..

·
Registered
232 Posts
carry one spare for everything....I got stuck out by block island drifting eels at 2 in the am and the alternator smoked and the belt snapped...I also have had fuel filters plug up on a diesel a few times actually, simply swap them out and keep going..One more thing CLEAN TERMINALS

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
If you don't make many trips, and you will be several hours from the dock, I would recommend this daily sheck. If you fish inshore, or more often, some items may be done weekly or bi-monthly:

Check as many thru-hulls as accessible, for both hose quality and clamp status, and the thru-hull itself for integrity. Give it a decent kick or pull w/ your arm- if doing that concerns you, don't go offshore. Check the valves for functionality.

Check coolant hoses on the motor, and hydraulic/oil hoses on the gear and motor. Check fluid levels, start the motor, and check all hoses/gaskets/etc. for leaks.

Check rudder operation, and check it's hardware for wear or missing safety pins/clevises. Check it for full range of motion w/o slippage or binding. Check the packing gland for excessive leakage and corrosion.

Chek hatches for watertight integrity and dogging, examine the anchor and rode for servicability.

Check battery water and connections.

Check pump operations, float switches, and high water alarms.

Inspect fire extinguishers, including horns/hoses/hangers/levers/locks. Inspect life saving equipment and EPIRB battery. make sure the throwable device is available, sound, and has a self-activated light, if possible.

Make sure the flashlight batteries are strong.

Carry a full oil change worth of oil and filters, and enough freshwater, separate from your main supply, to refill the engine's system.

Check operation of nav lights, and others.

Check raw water pump impeller for broken or missing vanes, worn cam or cover plate, or bad gasket.

Check the shaft packing gland(s) for excessive leaking or corrosion.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.