NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried spoons or plugs trolling for Bluefin, and what were your results?

P.S. Lets try to get a little more inthousiasm (sp) into this dissusion board or we're going to loose it. Not to long to go (May for shark-June for Tuna HOPEFULLY!) Not to long to go, but it sometimes seems years away!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
We have had success on bluefin up to 150 lbs. on the old reliable cedar jigs fished CLOSE to the boat. White marlin will give em a look also. The plain color seems to work better for me, but have heard that the red and white also produces for some of the other guys. LATER

·
Registered
493 Posts
Besides the good 'ol cedar plug, the saltwater Rapalas work well too, like a CD18-sized trolled back. The smallest YoZuri Bonita plugs (5") work well. BFT's seem to like the smaller swimming/jumping action in a small lure, rather than a large kona head.

Thanks,
PC

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Drone spoons

The little 4"Drone spoons work well in situations when its early in the season and the bluefin are on the surface pushing bait and won't touch anything you offer.You put away all your rods and set up two rods with about a 15 ft leader,a 2oz egg sinker and the spoon. You slowly troll around them that your spoons will come around the front of them.Then with big swooping motions lift the rod hard and fast straight up and then drop it straight down.Let the spoon jump out of the water and then it splashes back in.This drives the bluefin crazy so hold on.
p.s. DONT drive through the school!!!

·
Banned
67 Posts
i have had success using the MANN stretch 25 and stretch 18 lipped plugs , i have caught yellowfin while slow trolling. one thing i would recommend is to remove the two treble hooks and replace them with one single hook at the rear.i have NOT had a missed strike using the single hook.i have also has luck wirh albacore on the bonita and braid plugs ,again removing the two double hooks and replacing them with a single hook at the rear.it is too dangerous bringing a thrashing tuna into the boat with several treble hooks hanging from it's mouth.but i have had good success with plugs trolled slow.i usually put them in a pattern while i am using ballyhoo.i have had fish hit both the plugs and the bally at the same time.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TUNA PLUGS

Thanks Paulie and Capt. Jack for the reply! I'm always looking to try something different on the down time to try to kick up some fish.

P.S. Paulie-I got one of the large power handles for the Okuma, and am anxious to try it. I loaded it up with 400yds. 40# test Berkley Big game which I will use in a clamp on rod holder on a grab rail(like a top or center rigger) trolling for Bluefin or whatever. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Clamp on Rod Holder

Hipshot,
Be careful with those clamp on rod holders,there is alot of stress on them with tuna fishing. While sharking we keep the reels in free spool you can use those holders but with trolling tuna we keep our drags just below strike position(about 10-12 lbs of drag) when a tuna hits thats alot of pressure on those holders.Make sure you connect a safety line to the reels for precaution.
paulie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.