NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CA,
Appreciate if you have any words of wisdom concerning spooling fireline on to a 704z with mono backing. I thought I would give Fireline a try on my spinning reel this year however the guy at the tackle shop suggested against putting the fireline on without a machine. I intended on going with the two reel spooling method. Where the reel that is giving is set on a light drag and I am reeling on the other end.
What knot do you suggest to connect the mono to the fireline. I am using a 25# mono backing with a 30# fireline. I intend on throwing 1-3 oz woods and tins with a 9ft lami and a 11ft lami.

Thanks
Space

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Space,

I have spooled Fireline on my own reels a few times without any problems. I run the line off of the line spool and through a telephone book with a few more on top of that one for weight. I have someone hold the spool with the label facing me and reel it on. To connect backing or leader to Fireline I use an Albright Special with the Fireline doubled up.

That swivel to a tree sounds like a good idea too.

This message was edited by doughboy on 3-4-02 @ 12:02 AM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Space,
You definitley can and should put the line on yourself.Doughboy is correct, you have to keep tension on any line that is put on your reels.
The hardest part is estimating how much mono backing will be needed,probably about 1/3rd.
Try not to overfill the spool, fire line is great , but it is easy to get a very messy and expensive wind knot in it.

A double uni knot also works well,lay the mono
and fireline side by side, tie a uni knot in each
and cinch them together.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
spacegh8st wrote:

? however the guy at the tackle shop suggested against putting the fireline on without a machine. I intended on going with the two reel spooling method. Where the reel that is giving is set on a light drag and I am reeling on the other end. What knot do you suggest to connect the mono to the fireline. I am using a 25# mono backing with a 30# fireline. I intend on throwing 1-3 oz woods and tins with a 9ft lami and a 11ft lami.

Space,
Fireline is good? The tackle shop guy is right and the machine will give you a good spooling (steady tension)? but I also think it?s OK to use a telephone book (to apply proper pressure) but make sure the drag is set ?tight? when filling the reel!

As knots goes? The albright knot with a dab of crazy glue should suffice?but I also have developed a knot (12 years ago) specifically for the super lines (connect mono to braid)? it?s almost like the improved albright knot and it works like a charm! I don?t have the diagram with me at this time? but you may want to check with your peers (or "search" Alberto's knot) at the other hang out spot for the diagram. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for for the sound advice. I will try the telephone book method and use the BIONIC ALBERTO KNOT and see what happens.

Thanks
space

This message was edited by spacegh8st on 3-4-02 @ 11:54 AM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.