NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine got a Penn 320 gti (star drag) and 7' Penn Slammer for a christmas gift. Problem is choosing what to spool it with. He mainly fishes inshore for fluke, blues, bass, and occasionally cod on party boats. He needs a line that has little stretch for fluke and cod, but not braid, as braid seems to not go together well with jigging for blues and bass. ALSO, the 320 doesn't have that much capacity (330yds-20lb), so a low diameter line would be optimal for when the captain chooses a deep spot. Any opinions on a low diameter, medium stretch, mono line??? Something in the 30-40lb test range would work.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Why not get the best of both worlds: spool it up with 40 or 50lb braid, and then put a long topshot over it when you go blue/bass jigging?

If you want to go all mono, I'm a big fan of Trilene Big Game.

BTW how deep is he fishing for fluke? Sounds like a pretty serious setup for them flatties.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've keyed in on this one spot thats been producing nice 4-8 lb fish all year in 80-120 ft deep. A little deep... but the good thing is the fish are large, there are rarely any trash fish, and the fish are clustered BIG TIME.
By setting up the drift properly, we'll pick up at least two good keepers per 30min drift over the spot. The tide doesn't move too fast, but 6-8 oz is normally needed to assure a neat presentation. The only bad part about the spot is before drifting over the mud were the fluke are, the lobster men have started placing TONS of traps on a rocky shelf that we have to drift over first. Each year we break off countless rigs on the gear.
One reason I said 30-40lb test is because with heavier line, we have to tie the line to one of the cleats on the rear of the boat in order to snap the line.:mad: Thanks for your advice though!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Ha I gotcha.

PS be wary of using the 320 GTI for deep water cod fishing. The gears just aren't strong enough for really heavy use, it seems. Borrowing somebody else's rod for a cast, I destroyed one of those things fighting a double header of pollock a few summer's ago...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Codfisha15 wrote:
Ha I gotcha.

PS be wary of using the 320 GTI for deep water cod fishing. The gears just aren't strong enough for really heavy use, it seems. Borrowing somebody else's rod for a cast, I destroyed one of those things fighting a double header of pollock a few summer's ago...

So what... you're unlucky...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
crabman1130 wrote:
Stretch?

It's a long stretch to use the same outfit for fluke and cod. I would set it up for bass to cod and get another for fluke.

You'd be surprised at how far I've seen a small 3lber bend a 7' rod!
The spot he fishes can go as deep as 120ft, and with up to 10oz needed on some days, a little extra back won't hurt.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.