NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Spinning rod for party boat fluke??????????????

6K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  MakoMike 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm planning to do some fluke fishing this coming season, and was wondering: would a penn 5500ss with 15lb line and a diawa eliminator 12-20 lb spinning rod be ok for fishing party boats like the frances fleet with weights of about 2-6 ounces? I've tied 6 ounce sinkers on and it feels ok, but am not sure how it willl feel whe n i am actually fishing. Is 15lb too light? I can always go to 20 if i need to, i dont need a ton of line cap for striper fishing off the rocks and bluefish trolling.
Thanks,

#5 ·
I love using spinning tackle for fluke, but only when I'm bucktailing shallow water in the back bays. Hook a 4 pound fluke ona 1/2 oz. jig in 5' of water and hang on. A great fight, But, as for deepwater flukinf with bait or heavier silver bullets, IMO conventional tackle is the only way to go. You'll have much better line control with a conventional setup. I would recommend a lami tri-flex rod with a penn 310 GTi and 20 pound yozuri hybrid line.

#8 ·
ok, sounds like this is a no go. I don't want to spend mujch money because i will probably only do 4-6 trips and i have no source of money other than summer jobs (im fifteen). However, i do have an old penn long beach 60 and 209m. Would either of these do the trick or are they too heavy? If not, what would be a good cheap rod?
Thanks for your input,

#9 ·
I've fluked on the Seven B's (docks next to the Frances fleet) and they fished mid-depth water along the beaches. Similar to fishing "outside" the South Shore inlets, or on the south side of Montauk. Spinning would have been adequate for where we fished if you spooled with braid. No Man's? I don't think that they would run anywhere near that far. For me, quality partyboat fluking is closer to home (Raritan Bay, Ambrose Channel, Huntington, Greenport or Montauk), but I occasionally take the Cross-Sound ferry and drive 30 minutes to Pt. Judith so that I can gorge on seafood for a couple of days and maybe catch something besides a cold too :)

Always nice to have a spinner as a 2nd outfit. You cast at slack or when the drift is the "wrong" way and you don't want to fish under the boat.

I'm sure that whole squid would be killer. Unfortunately I like to jig for small fish :)

#10 ·
Willy:

The Penn 60 is a fine reel for fluking. With all the fancy new stuff out there these days no one uses the old reliables like the 60. I like it because it is narrow and one **** of a durable piece. Spool it up with 20 pound test and you'll be fine. You may fish in water as deep as 70-80 feet so you might need more lead than you think. Ask your folks to splurge for a medium action ugly stick at $50 or so and it will last forever. You can use this set-up for most inshore bottom fishing. Go to Sports Authority and pull on a few models to see what you like. You will get a better price at a place like that than your local tackle shop. Ordinarily I avoid the big chain stores in order to give the local small guy the business, but since price is an issue, try the mega-stores. Get your working papers boy. Then you can buy whatever you like. Or just win a few pools if this **** wind stops for ten seconds.

Frank

#11 ·
Willy,

When I fish the Frances for cod after fluke season opens, I drive up early and fish for fluke before the cod trip leaves. They usually fish just outside the harbor in about 20 - 40 feet of water--I don't know where they go on the full day trips. If the drift will let me get away with using my Penn 712 (12#test), that is my preference. However, if you're only going to own one fluke rod, go with a conventional. As stated, line control with a spinning rod can take practice, especially if you use a bail--I HATE bails. BTW, fluking there is usually pretty good and jigs w/teasers will usually catch you more fish...

Gamakatsu

#12 ·
thanks for the info frank. I like the pools method of getting money myself. With this years earnings (eight bc pools and oen yankee fleet), I bought a lamiglas custom rod, probably 20 jigs, and countless teasers as well as about half of my pro gear. The good life. Not sure what im gonna do this summer: for two weeks i'm working in the bahamas, but my only pay will be tips. Might workd on walshs over the summer or at Fishin FINatics in Everett, Ma, both of them seem pretty serious about giving me a job. we'll see.

#14 ·
Willy:

When I was your age I used to work on party boats during the summers and on weekends during the school year. You won't get rich that way but you'll put a few bucks in your pocket, and as a side benefit, you will see the other end of the party boat game. You'll see why some mates are so cranky half of the time. BTW, don't you ever have homework to do? You've got some life, kid. Appreciate it. Always.

#15 ·
ive got hw, i just do it right after school, so when im supposed to be doing it, 7:30-9:30, i just sit in my room and do nothing. I wish i could work weekends, but my schedule is so inconsistent (saturday classes, campus weekends) that i'd be a burden on any boat i chose to work.

#18 ·
nice inexpensive stick

Hey Willy,
Here is an affordable suggestion :
Bass Pro Shops Muskie stick,
GS63XHT it is the Best $30 you
will ever spend! Many guys on L.I.
use 'em with success. I think it will
work for you on the Francis, Leaves you $$$ for a good reel , take a look at the Shimano Charter specials(TR100G or TR200G) Less $$$ than the shiney ones and just as good . It would be a great set up for under $100......
see ya up there Kid , we will have to fight over the Pool.....

#20 ·
Hey Willy...

Stay in school and hit those books! Fishing is an expensive hobby and very addictive. It appears that you have this addiction real good too! You should look for a part time job after school and on weekends, I wouldn't recommend a fishing related job, since they are only long hours and the pay is not that great. Jobs teach responsibility too. It's better to get a job close to home and go fishing on your leisure time. Supermarkets are great part-time jobs or even in a Home Depot?

But like I said up top -- stay on top of your education above all, go to college and you'll land a great job which will be able to fund your fishing addiction. Trust me on that one! You can ask anyone on this board who knows me personally like MakoMatt, Capt.Hookem, Capt. Larry, and Stephianne. Those guys know how much I fish and I thank it all to getting a great education!

Good Luck Young Man!

Regards,
Capt. Fred

#23 ·
You'll need something lighter more like smaller.

That reel has a larger diameter sideplate. You want somthing with the sideplate diameter of like say a Newell 220 or 229 like that not necessarily those reels but like that size. Maybe a narrow squider like that. PM Lep -- he's got those rods and can turn you to the correct reel for the stick. I'm considering getting a few of them too for charter rods. I'm waiting until they go on sale.

#24 ·
The Nassau Col show is coming this weekend. There are always great deals there. Check out the Shimano TRW series they are inexpensive and work horses. Can't go wrong with a Penn also. You may be able to get something used too for cheap. Keep and eye on the for sale boards here. Buy used and you could get a killer set up.
Good luck.
Mike

#25 ·
SPINNING ROD FOR PARTY BOATS

HEY KID FOR YOUR INFO I USED A PENN 4500
WITH 10LBS TEST ON PARTY BOATS,AND MY ROD OF CHOICE IS A UGLY STICK SP 1101
6'6" ACTION MED TO HEAVY ITS WORKS GREAT FOR FLUKE, BLUE FISH,AND ANYTHING
I HOOK.AND YES I HAVE SOME CONVENTIONAL RODS AND REELS ALSO.BUT I PREFFER THE SPINNING OUTFITS THEY ARE MY FAVORITE
AND YES I HAVE OUT FISH MANY PEOPLE ON THE PARTY BOATS.AND IT HELPS ME STAY OUT OF TANGLES.ITS UP TO YOU WHAT YOU FEEL MORE COMFTABLE WITH.NO OFFENCE TO YOU CONVENTIONAL GUYS OUT THERE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.