NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Capt. Neil,

It was nice to meet you at the Coliseum. I hope that you are feeling better and that you'll be in good shape for the Freeport show. I was just curious as to what blank(s) in the 10 - 15 pound class you (or anybody else) would recommend for bucktailing fluke with braid. I currently use an American Graphite blank which I love, but I am hesitant to use it with braided line.

Also, what kind of braid are people using on 712/710 size spinning reels? I don't hear great things about Power Pro on smaller spinning reels.

Thanks,
Gamakatsu

·
Registered
524 Posts
Gama,

Depending on the size of the bucktails you will be using, here are to blanks that I would look at:

Seeker CLB704
Calstar GX7

I have both set up as conventional, but I have made them up as bucktail spin rods as well. Both are composite blanks and work well with braided line.

Al

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would highly recommend the calstar blank as I have used it for fluke this past season and it performed beautifully. It was actually recommended to me by Capt. Neil at last years show just to give credit where credit is due. Thanks again Neil.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Gama,
Thanks.

How much lead will you be using in how deep water?

If you are fishing shallow, sandy bottom and 1/2 to 1 oz+ do I have a blank you you!!!!!

The blank is made in Japan but no longer available in this Country. It is 6' graphite. Several are in use by fishermen on the Shinne**** Star. Am building one for myself to be used this year.

And I just happen to know 2 rod crafters who still have them in stock. Remind me to bring them to Freeport.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Neil - too bad nobody has those Japan blanks longer than 6 feet. Gama - since I know you are a tackle Ho, I suggest picking up one of these blanks. It has like a size 4.5 or 5 tip (I think), but has so much power. It almost looks like a UL Trout rod, until you bend it.

Depending on the size of the bucktails you'll use, if less than 1oz I'd say take a look at some of the rods marketed for LMB. Mag Bass or Flipping sticks. I wouldn't worry about exploding a graphite blank with braid for Fluke, BUT!!!!! you must have the drag properly set as if you were using mono.

I'm a fan on the Lami XC blanks, I like th e84MH, as well as the M, but the ML is too soft and light for bucktails. You could also take a peek at teh XS blanks with the same ratings.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info gents. I guess I really need to get to the show in Freeport and check some of this stuff out. Hopefully the weather is not too nice because I am trying to get a seabass trip on the Jamaica in this winter, and that'll take priority over the show.

Billy, I never thought of myself as a "ho" before, but if I have to be any kind of ho, I guess a tackle ho is best. You are probably right about the graphite blanks being durable enough for fluking, but you have not met my sons. The older one is going fishing with me a lot more now and believe me, there ain't no graphite up to that challenge.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Fencer04.

Thanks, glad you were happy with your Calstar blank. Quality, quality and more quality.

It is because of the many RodCrafters, other rod builders that have shared their info with me that I can share it with you and others.

Thanks to all.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
524 Posts
Capt Neil and Billy,

Is that a hint about the Impact blanks that I have stashed away. They also make great spin rods for bones and albacore in the fall.

Gama, these are my go to rods when fishing up to 2 ounce bullets in water up to 30 feet. Unbelievable power. I once put a 43 lb bass in the boat on a chuck at slack tide off Montauk on this rod.

I will bring these as well to the Freeport Show. The show will be on the downside of the full moon, so the tides still will be pretty strong. You will have better tides on the following weekend.

Al

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Gama,

I would go with fiberglass rods for the boys. They work well and catch fish. And are less expensive.

And the boys will probably out fish you anyway!! Thats is if you are doing a good job as their personal mate!!!!!! LOL!!!!

Neil

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Capt. Neil,

I dread the day that my kids learn the words "custom rods". Hopefully, it comes about the same time that they learn the word "job"...LOL. My little guy does not have a rod yet and the older one has a glass rod right off the rack. However, he likes to help out, carrying the rods on and off the boat, etc. and it is in these times that accidents can happen. Also, unless fishing is very good and he is hooking enough fish to keep him interested, I usually let him reel in any fish that I hook. I have just seen too many freak accidents with graphite. You might be able to close a car door on one without it breaking and another one will break when you lift a porgy out of the water.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Gama,

Hi. Solid fiberglass----thats what you buy for the boys.

Shakespeare has a few models and I built one into a blues and blackfish rod. A guy liked it so much I had to build him one. It worked great. Really takes a beating.

Capt Neil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.