NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If I had to pick just one, there is no doubt that I'd pick conventional. Conventionals are just so much more versatile than spinners and can do almost anything a spinner can do. That being said, there are definitely situations where spinning tackle is advantageous.

Gamakatsu

G

·
Spinning is easyer for me ,not that I have alot of experience with convetional (to many birds nests at nite.I like my spiners to be without a bail.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think I remember that discussion :)

Do you remember which one I picked? Might come as a surprise to some.

Here's a hint---if your life depended on it---or even if you knew it was gonna be a fish-a-cast blitz---wouldn't you want the one that's more "idiot proof"? Even guys with 20 years or more under their belts get buck fever when the fishing's stupid.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If you would have asked me that about 3 years ago I would have said spinning. Now I'm more apt to go with Gamma's response. I love conventionals now...still working some casting bugs out though ;)
I still love my lil spinning outfit for inshore fluking though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Conventional, all the way! Started off with spinning, but finally bit the bullet and learned a few years ago. All my spinning reels have been on the shelf since. Gives you better distance, more control over the fish in a more comfortable, compact package with no line twist. You pay for it with a few birdnests now and then, but they happen too with a spinning reel. The only time I fish spinning is when I drop under 10# tackle and need to pitch small stuff.

·
Registered
831 Posts
surfjerk--agreed. You drop a convenmtional in the sand---you're done. You drop a spinner like a 704, 706 or a VS in the sand, you dunk it, grind the sand out of the cup and keep fishing.

You take a wave with a conventional---you're pretty much done. You take a wave with a spinner---see above ;)

You cast off an eel on a conventional---you're done unless you have a spare spool. Cast off an eel on a spinner----reach for another eel.

Blow up the spool on a conventional, and you have a spare handy---changing it out on the beach is an adventure. Drop the side plate in the sand or the water while it's off the frame---you're done. Drop the spare spool or drag knob of a spinner, rinse it and you're back in business.

I love fishing conventional. But in a situation where I can only have one reel with me, like if I'm walking down to the WE jetty pocket and fishing along the way, that one reel is going to be the one that's most trouble free.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Depends on the angler and the situation. Some guys should be banned from conventionals, some guys should be banned from Spinning. If you are using 40lb pink Ande on a spinner, please switch to conventional, don't cast, just drop the kig to the bottom. Or spend teh ENTIRE day standing next to me untwisting your line.

If you want to drink beers all day, while casting a Penn 975 with Fireline, and continuously backlash and have to ask the mate to take it out, while your line is in the water and my fish is wrapping itself around it, please get yourself a Sahara 6000, and go on the other side of the boat.

Common sense needs to enter into the equation at some point. You don't want to be Blackfishing on teh OE, with a $99 freshwater combo spinning setup (a nice one at that), give the combo to your wife, have her hang up on the bottom, and rather than break off, you try and remove the snag by flexing the rod to the butt cap. I'm hoping to give CA a laugh on this one.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SteveByrne wrote:
I want to say conventional - but then how would I fish my 1/4 oz. leadheads? Thank God I don't have to pick just one.

LOLOLOL?That?s a very good point? but if you have to chose one over the other?which one? :)

MikeP wrote:
Here's a hint---if your life depended on it---or even if you knew it was gonna be a fish-a-cast blitz---wouldn't you want the one that's more "idiot proof"? Even guys with 20 years or more under their belts get buck fever when the fishing's stupid.

I get your drift! ;)

Surfjerk1 wrote:
?Ever submerge a conventional reel in the water fishing from the surf? Have fun.

You are so right! Unfortunately nowadays we still don?t have a submergable reel. I am still waiting for the day?

Jrgesq wrote:
A lawyer's response: it depends. When you are fishing for live squid, you need spinning gear to catch them. To reel in that 300 lb. swordfish that yu caught on a squid, it had better be an 80 International.

I object? I agree with your 300lb. swordfish comment but the spinning for squid? is debatable? :)

Billy40 wrote:
? You don't want to be Blackfishing on teh OE, with a $99 freshwater combo spinning setup (a nice one at that), give the combo to your wife, have her hang up on the bottom, and rather than break off, you try and remove the snag by flexing the rod to the butt cap. I'm hoping to give CA a laugh on this one.

Billy? You are right! I got a chuckle out of that one.

IBEW wrote:
Spinning reel on the beach. Conventional reel on the boat.

OK..I may agree with you? but let me try this one again?. Pick only one. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.