NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will use spider line for the first time this weekend on a party boat. I heard that if u get tangled with someone on the boat your are screwed. The spider line does not come off the mono. Can i get some info on this? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think using line other than mono is a bad idea for party boat fishing. Not only will you get guys mad if you tangle, you will probably lose most of your line when the mates cut it loose.

Anyone?

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of fishing you are doing. I have used fireline and Proline (these are similar braided line) on party boats bottom fishing for fluke in the ocean. I have had no problem with tangles or people cutting out the line. The increased sensitivity in deep water and being able to use lighter weights can really put you at an advantage.

I have also heard that they do not allow braided lines on some party boats. I presume these are tuna boats and they don't allow them because you could cut the **** out of someones hand. But like I said this is a guess.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Most party boats will say no super lines, except in the case of very specific fishing like really deep cod.

Like Steve said, it's the quickest way to get fellow passenger's PO'd at you. Better to call ahead and check first.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with Steve...spider line on party boat is not the best idea...if boat is not that crowded then its not a big deal...but if your going on the weekend and its shoulder to shoulder....its a no-no.....it is very hard to untangle....but the problem is referred to by one of the other people who replied...due to the thinner diameter you can afford to use lighter weight...but on a crowded boat this is not an advantage since your line will drift or enter the water at a different angle than everyone elses...hence ...while everyone else is letting out line to reach bottom and line drifts from left to right etc...your line may be straight up and down....major problems...

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
One other point: Captains and mates don't like it because it's more likely to cut fingers/hands, especially when wet, making harder to undo tangles and snags.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.