NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to pick up a new set-up that I'd like to use for chunking. It'll be an Avet pro 30 exw on a Calstar black west coast series 5.6" rod. (cant decide 30-80 or 50-100)
Anyway, I got a chance to pull on a decent tuna this past season with the same reel and almost the same rod (honey colored calstar 30-80).
It was by far the most comfortable set-up (for me) I've ever fished.
The reel was spooled with JB spectra with a 100lb mono top shot. Now, I fish braid inshore almost exclusively but this was the first time I used spectra offshore. Aside from the added line capacity what are the benefits / downfalls off fishing braid offshore. Is it wise for chunking and not so great for trolling? I'm not sure if this topic has been covered before so please forgive me if it has. What are your experiences, preferences and why?

Thanx!
BF9

This post edited by BLUEFISH9 08:52 PM 01/08/2008

·
Registered
848 Posts
i have 65 pound hollow core JB on my 30vsw with a top shot 100yards of 60 pound mono. If you are going to be using it for chunking/ trolling you will want to be fishing the mono especially while trolling i would put 100yard top shot on your 30 then fill the rest with JB for more line capacity. It is nice using spectra strictly for sharking especially spectra does not have as much stretch as mono does so it is nice for setting the hook. Spectra has a thinner diameter, and higher sinking rate then mono does. If you are going to be using the spectra i would strongly suggest connecting the spectra to mono with a loop to loop connection so you are able to switch the mono out easily with out having to retie/ splice after the top shot needs to be switch out from use.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzz

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
About the only advantage I see with moving away from mono to these dacron/spectra type lines is when capacity is an issue. It is nice fighting fish on these new smaller, tougher reels. For Christmas I got one of these new Penn VSX reels, I got the 30. I am thinking of spooling it with about 100 pound test of either JB or Cortland and using the loop to loop for a topshot somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 - 75 yards. I think it will be around 425 - 450 yards total when all is said and done. Not that I'd use it but you can get I think 35 pounds of drag at strike with this reel. Sea Isle is making me up a custom rod right now for it. It will be used exclusively for chunking, and maybe shark too. For the troll I'll fall back on my Penn Internationl 30's and 50's all mono.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree the capacity is an advantage. One thing I noticed was...When I was fighting that fish I mentioned in the original post, Every time it ran It seems I was able to turn the fishes head by thumbing the spool a bit. One thing I DIDNT like about the spectra was that the rod tip bounced a LOT with the waves...keeps you on your toes a bit lol.

This post edited by BLUEFISH9 09:11 AM 01/09/2008

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
IMHO spectra is useful only when you need the extra lone capacity and it is a huge PITA if you get a tangle in it. We only use outfits spooled with spectra with top shot for chunking, where you're fighting a fish from a dead boat and line capaity can b an issue. For trolling, where we can chase the fish with the boat we still use all mono.

·
Registered
39 Posts
06405 wrote:
i have 65 pound hollow core JB on my 30vsw with a top shot 100yards of 60 pound mono. If you are going to be using it for chunking/ trolling you will want to be fishing the mono especially while trolling i would put 100yard top shot on your 30 then fill the rest with JB for more line capacity. It is nice using spectra strictly for sharking especially spectra does not have as much stretch as mono does so it is nice for setting the hook. Spectra has a thinner diameter, and higher sinking rate then mono does. If you are going to be using the spectra i would strongly suggest connecting the spectra to mono with a loop to loop connection so you are able to switch the mono out easily with out having to retie/ splice after the top shot needs to be switch out from use.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzz

How much line can you fit on those 30 wides? Do you find the small diameter to be a problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
848 Posts
Fmoore

i do not know exactly how much line it has with the jerry brown but it is alot. I am getting the reels completely respooled in a couple of days i will find out then for you.

no problem at all with the small diameter of the line. I have 4 30 set ups just for chunking at night i use them strictly for chunking most of the time. The thinner the line on the main line i have found that the hook up ratio is allot better the tuna seem not to be that line shy of it. The main line is plenty strong. And the presentation of the bait seems to be allot more realistic looking.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzz

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I just had a 30W Intermational spooled at Trophy last weekend, It took 500 Yds. 130 JBH with a 50 Yd. topshot of 100Lb. Why anyone would go with smaller JBH then that is rediculous. If the fish gets that far away you can kiss it good bye anyway. Go with the 130.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Good morning everyone.

The spectra capacity issue is kind of misleading. Jeff's reels (30SW) had 500yds of JBH 130 and 50 yard BHP topshots. The reel could have taken a 100yd topshot no problem as well. Jeff (MakoExpress) will have the flexibility to change around his topshots for different lengths, weights and types. If he wants to fish a Vinyl coated wind on cable leader it will fit on the reel with no issues. And the line is high enough on the spool where you will not be starting out with a drag compensation issue due to the spool not being full when setting the drags initially.

30 Wide(Internationals, Avet, and Shimano) reels have the ability to hold 700 yards of 130JBH and short 25-30' mono wind on leaders. If you went with 80 or 100 JBH the 30 wides will hold 1000yds and a short topshot. If you are going to use spectra narrow reels are the way to go. 30 narrows will hold 500yds of 130 JBH or 700yds of 80 JBH. That is with a 25-30' wind on leader. To get 100 yard topshots on take 100yds or so off the spectra capacity. You still are in that 500yd total capacity area. And, you are fishing with a much smaller package that has the same drag capacity as the wides.

If you are strictly going to be bait fishing a short windon is a great option. Maximizes the low stretch aspect of the spectra. The downside is when the fish is around the boat waiting for the dart or gaff spectra on the hull is not ideal. Abrasion resistance is one of spectra lines weaker aspects. They are not very abrasion resistant. For shark fishing this is not a big issue since the wind on is either cable or 400 or 530lb X-Hard mono followed by straight wire. Doesnt get more abrasion resistant than that.

For trolling longer wind ons make more sense. Get the shock absorber effect that the mono gives. The spectra will not be in the outrigger clips or downrigger clips. It can be done (trolling on spectra in the clips) but is not my preference. Also the end game boat side will be done strictly on mono. No chafe issues other than the mono chaffing.

We bait fish our reels with short topshots. 25' of Hi-Catch or Diamond Line. It works out great. Instant hook sets and large line capacity give you many advantages that fishing on straight mono does not allow.

The 50 yard topshot is a good choice. Short enough to be into the spectra quickly on a good fish. Long enough to troll on and have some safety margin for chafe purposes boat side.

Hollow Spectra and Basil's (BHP Tackle) products will give you flexibility and advantages just not possible with straight mono.

Hope this helps.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.