NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
if you are trolling wire the general rule of thumb is for evrey 10ft of water you are in you let out 100ft of wire,ie, 25ft of water= 250ft of wire. You should have a mono leader about 8ft long with 80lb test with a heavy snap swivel.Trolling speed should be about 3-4 knots. Your wire should have marks the first one being a 100ft and then every 50ft after that. If you are trolling umbrellas red and yellow work well and you may try a long red tube off the middle of the rig with a 12" stell leader so the bluefish dont take your tube. This worked for me very well out in Montauk.
I should be out there thurs or friday, I have a 23 parker sport cabin and no nme on the side but you can hail me on 68, KNOT WISHIN is my handle. Good luck and catch em up!

·
Registered
447 Posts
bcmeyer pretty much nailed it. I would just add that I've done reasonably well in 12' to 20' along the beaches near Moriches with umbrellas. If your rod tip starts bobbing rythmically your rig is bumping bottom. Check rigs for weed regularly. Its not a bad idea to bump the boat in and out of gear when you get a fish on to help hold tension in the line, the wire has no stretch, so any slack is immediately available to the fish to throw the lure. Also, if you keep it in gear for a few moments after a hit you sometimes will get a second fish on the other rod from the same school. If you aren't catching, try steering a zigzag course to find the depth the fish are at. You'll have to adjust the amount of line you have out as you zig and zag. A few weeks ago I caught a nice 24" fluke trolling an umbrella off Moriches, man was I surprised!

good luck

scratcher

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.