NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alberto,

I know this is a complicated topic w/ many variables and location specific answers. With that being said, have you noticed any genneralities when fishing S. Shore LI surf w/ reguard to wind direction & speed. Specifically with links to time of year, open beach vs inlets vs bay fishing. Thanks for your insight.

In my limited experiece I have had better luck w/ a strong ESE wind and mild W winds, & least luck w/ strong W on NW winds fishing backside areas.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
NJSurf,

Indeed that is a very complicated question but I will give it the world! Let?s put this into simpler terms. Wind plays a BIG factor where to fish! Preferably I like a wind blowing toward my face until it gets unbearable? I can do two things? increase my presentation (to keep a spot honest) or move to another spot. The amount of bait will easily determine my motivation! However, rules are broken this time of the year! Why? Because the cold snaps can be equally as important!

This time of the year? bait is everything. You find the bait path or staging spot? The fish will be around! Generally it takes a tide or two and get it going!

As for ?generalities?? The oceanfront (a soft south wind would be ideal). Inside the bay, (depending where you are facing), any west or south wind is not too bad either! But again? it depends where you are standing! What?s more important is structure and bait! The structure holds fish like a magnet and the right presentation should do the trick.
If I would to pick a least productive wind? for me it would be the East wind! Mind you, this is only applicable to the South Shore areas and it does not mean that there are no fish to be caught. The areas where I fish? the east wind have the least protective coverage for me and for the bait.

I hope I?ve answered your question. Let me know if you want me to dwell on it.

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alberto,

You covered it well.

First off I fish when I can. Next I concentrate on structure, look for bait, give some notice to the tide stage, and lastly consider wind and moon phase. Understanding the wind & its effect on the fishing has been the most elusive. I see its effect on my ability to cast light plugs, on the wave height, and the possibility of it pushing small bait to a certain area. Other than that I was wondering if I was missing something with reguard to picking one place to fish over another. I guess the best teacher will be time on the water & careful mental note takeing.

Thanks

This message was edited by NJSurf on 11-26-01 @ 2:10 PM

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
NJSurf wrote:
I guess the best teacher will be time on the water & careful mental note taking.

I could not agree more! You are on the way to become a very successful surfrat! :)

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gentlemen,
I was interested to read Crazy Alberto's comment about east wind on the south shore. I learned the same thing this past weekend after an unsuccesful plugging trip to RM#2. On our way back to the parking lot my friend and I were chatting with a bait fisherman who told us, based on his many years of experience, that an east wind (ESE on Saturday) was not good on the south shore.

Alberto,

Thanks for running this! Although, as I have learned, there's substitute for experience on the water, all the questions and your responses are speeding up the learning process for us novices.
Your patience is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I agree that structure and the presence/absence of bait are the two most important factors. Two western south shore spots that have, over the years, been productive on SE winds are Cedar Bar and the jetty pocket at West End 2. Structure has varied from excellent to almost non-existent at Cedar over the last several years. Also, in heavy wind/sea conditions, the jetty pocket can get too weedy to be effectively fished. But either are good starting points if you don't want to sit out a period of easterly flow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Alberto,

How then would an east wind affect fishing conditions on the North Shore, say the mouth of the Nissequogue? I've been told that north and NW is good is good up there for the same reasons that south wind is good on the south shore. I'm thinking of playing hookie tomorrow and the weather prediction includes an east wind. Any comment?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Alberto,
If I am intending to fish Cedar Beach tomorrow, and the predicted wind direction is Northeast, and assuming there is some bait in the water...what does this tell me about where exactly to fish? I'm guessing that if the wind is coming from either the NE or NW its best to near the inlet (sore thumb or Demo)on an outgoing tide since both will work together to flush bait out of the bay. Is this right? Every one I talk to seems to have different stories about this issue, so I would appreciate a little input from you. I often find myself picking my spot for weekend fishing based on tide direction and wind for a given location, but I do not think I understand the basics yet. Any "nutshell" description of wind direction as it pertains to a given surf fishing location (inlet, open beach, south shore, north shore) would be appreciated. Why, for example might an east wind be bad on the south shore?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.