NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warm weather got me out to try our luck for strippers using eels.Heres the problem,landed one nice bass around 25 pounds it had these boils or soars that were bleeding or almost bleeding on five or six spots.Wanted him for dinner and dont get out much.. but those spots turned me off pretty bad.Has anyone else seen this or know what it is? CMR.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My brother pulled up a bass this May that had what looked like bruises on it like you described. It was caught in the state channel east of Zachs Bay. I had read a story over the winter that said some Chesapeake fish had lesions from Phiesteria. This is the toxic algae that has caused brown tides down south. We never did find out for sure what it was but it looked nasty and bloody. Didn't want to touch it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My brother pulled up a bass this May that had what looked like bruises on it like you described. It was caught in the state channel east of Zachs Bay. I had read a story over the winter that said some Chesapeake fish had lesions from Phiesteria. This is the toxic algae that has caused brown tides down south. We never did find out for sure what it was but it looked nasty and bloody. Didn't want to touch it.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
I read an interesting article over the weekend about Phisteria, granted it was in "Maxim". I am not saying what you saw was this disease, but if it was, it is of concern.

Phisteria was first found in North Carolina over a decade ago, and it was killing huge numbers of bunker. Nobody thought much of it until it was found to be able to affect humans as well as fish. In humans it causes lesions and neurological damage and eventually, death. In fish this nasty little phyto plankton digests fish from the inside out and kills them with huge open sores that go through to the guts.

Humans have been infected with the disease by swimming in infected waters, eating and handling infected fish and even by inhaling it in dissolved particles in the air. Apparently, the disease was also found around Long Island a few years ago.

Like I said, this was what I read in "Maxim". How true it all is I cant say. I haven't heard of the disease until this past weekend. I caught a striper last spring that had small sores on its skin. They weren't deep and the fish seemed OK, but I let it go and didn't think much of it. There are a lot of things out there that can cause sores on fish. BUT if I catch or see anything like what I saw in "Maxim", I will definately report to the DEC.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It is doubtful that the fish you caught was infected with phisteria. More likely, those "sores" (and I have caught plenty of bass with them) are simple bacterial infections. When fish lose scales, for whatever reason, their skin is unprotected and prone to infection. If you do catch a fish that you believe has phisteria, you should bag it and call DEC - at least that was their policy a few years back. I do not believe there has been any documented cases of phisteria this far north, but then - I've been wrong before!

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
As long as we're on the subject of sick striped bass,last week my buddy and I caught a couple of keepers off of Democrat Point. When we where cleaning the second one, which was a totally healthy 34" fish (at least on the outside), we were shocked to see that not only did this fish have almost no meat on him, but that the meat that was there was a very soft, almost mushing consistancy. The other fish was normal. I have caught a lot of bass over the years, and have never seen any meat that looked or felt like this. I certaintly wasn't about to eat it. Is this unusual?

Good Luck and Tight Lines

This message was edited by bassman909 on 10-30-01 @ 2:25 PM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.