NorEast Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking for something identical to an xactics box but a bit smaller. Basically I want to replace the cooler I use as my tackle/fish stowage container with and exactics box type outfit. Currently I have a cooler with a cutting board/tackle station mounted to the top, which is on my motor box. Although this system works great, I need to re-do a couple things this year, and as part of it I would like to get rid of the cooler and replace with a insulated box similar to an exactics box but slightly smaller. Ideally It would be about 36 inches long, by 24 wide by about 20 high.

Suggestions ?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
boxs

Both bonner and x acta make mulitple size and configuration of boxs

Joe at stella maris gets a supply of bonners in the spring

Ask him about sizes in the the small rectangular model without the fork lift skids molded in , it may fit you bill .
I used one on my 23 jones brothers and it was an ok fit

With the new regs and the fact that im gonna limit my offshore trips with the MarilynJean this year I may down size the box on the boat too that one as well it really opens up my deck space.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Ive been using a similar set up as you described. Just hate that its a P.I.T.A whenever I want to open the motor box. Only difference from the picture is that I now have the cutting board mounted directly to the cooler instead of the rod holder.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bluefish9 your cooler and cutting table is almost identical to what I have. As a matter of fact I did a little how to article on how to make on for the Fisherman article. It really works wonders for people who run boats that have engine boxs and I/O's.

One of the main reasons why I want to get rid of my cooler is so that I don't have to tilt the lid in order to get at the contents inside the cooler (get bait or drop off a fish) I think I might make my own cooler and top that has a trap door so that I don't have to remove the entire top to drop something into my cooler or get bait out.

I'm leaning more towards fabircating something out of fiberglass more and more.

Here's a pic of what I have currently.

In these pics there are no rodholder in front of the box, but now I have rod holders which makes riggind a real pleasure. I just put the rod into its holder, and make the rig on the table.

Dantilu, that is too big for me. I like the Xactics boxes on other boats I've been on, but yours is too big, actually I think everything that Xactics makes is too big.

On the top of the board/work station I want to engineer a system where I can store leader material, sinkers, barrel swivels etc in a orderly fashion.

This post edited by GradySailfish 09:39 PM 01/28/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
GradySailfish wrote:

I'm sorry Bill, no the boat was bought from a private owner in Mt. Siani in 1999. Who/What is Mullen Brothers ?

They are buddies, Pat and Tom, of mine who own and moving company and also did charters in Montauk on a Grady called Lady Grady when they first started out.

They now run a Topaz now when they can, there moving company really took off with the exadus of people from the island heading south.

Just saw the name and was curious.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Bonar Box...

I got this box from GearWorks in Riverhead and added a few extras to it . 6 stainless rod holders, Stainless hinges, stainless lifting handle, 4 folding cup holders and 2 knife/plier holders. Also added a few Gas shocks to hold cover open (VERY HEAVY) while removing fish/ice or while cleaning inside. It's held down to deck with 4 stainless turn buckles. It isn't goin anywhere!!! The top is 3/4 plywood with a few plastic plano storage boxes screwed to it..It's a great tackle/rigging station as well as an awesome cooler. I think this is the smallest Bonar box available.

One thing I did want to point out is if you decide to use the plano plastic trays try to cover the box or at least the plastic storage boxes.. The sun makes the boxes very brittle and they will crack mid season if not sooner.. I have removed the Starboard Material since the second photo. It was to heavy...

Just trying to help

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MakoMike, you are right, I didn't realize how low and narrow it is. I'm looking for 32 long, by 23 wide, by about 24 high.

Worse comes to worse I'll just fabricate something. Honestly speaking I think thats the way I'll be happiest.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts