NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Surfjerk,
I always direct tie when I use pencil poppers, but then again, I direct tie with 90% of the plugs I use. I was told long ago that there is a change that a snap will ruin the action. I don't know if that's true, but I never want to decrease the chance of hooking up. Also, if you go to the Gibbs lures web site, I'm pretty sure that they recommend a direct tie on their version.

Good luck

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I use a Duo-Lock style snap for most of my casting.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
SOME PENCILS WORK WITH A SNAP, SOME DONT! IT SHOULD BE VERY EASY TO TELL IF ITS WORKING...JUST WATCH THE PLUG. IF THE PENCIL CAN BE "WALKED" SIDE TO SIDE WITH MINIMAL RETRIEVE...ITS FINE. IF THE PLUG SIMPLY SLAP'S THE WATER IN AN UP AND DOWN MOTION, IT COULD BE THE SNAP. FOR ME, THE PENCIL IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE'S AND WHEN WORKED RIGHT, ITS A PRODUCER! I PREFER THE YOZURI STYLE OR THE BIG GIBBS...

·
Registered
831 Posts
The only reason I can think of to attach a split ring to the eye of ANY plug is, if the eye is too small to get a snap in and out of easily in the dark. Split rings have sharp edges where the "split" is and they can nick your leader knot if you tie direct. This will weaken the leader.

I've never noticed any change in the action of any plug, when tying direct or using an appropriate sized snap. If the snap has a heavy swivel attached, or if you use something like a 200# Coastlock on a 5" Redfin, maybe then you'll see a difference. But, not with a small snap like a #54 Duolock or a #34 Coastlock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If youre going to use a snap., you might as well use a split ring to make changing lures easier.Tying directly is always best to minimize the chance of a snap opening and losing your plug, but the difference in action is negligible as long as the hardware isnt binding up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.