NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything about the Simrad CA42 Radar/GPS chartplotter/Echosounder? Very pricey unit, but nice to have all three images on one 10 inch transflective LCD display. Are Simrad products in general worth the extra $$$?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the CE42 w/ a remote unit for the flybridge. Mine is chartplotter & sonar. I also bought a Simrad Combi transducer which supposed.y makes the sonar incredible. It seems to be an awesome unit. I haven't installed it in the boat yet, but have it running at my house. Professional grade construction, screen is awesome, bright. I bought it about a year ago, but my new boat is not ready yet. I sent it back to Simrad and they upgraded to the latest software so that I now have both WAAS & Differential capability. No charge. The plotter is not as fast as a Northstar 951xd, or as easy to use, but it is still very good. You can totally customize the charts, make your own palette of colors for the maps, same for showing bottom contours on the charts. Very slick. Really nice nighttime color palette. You can use 2 different charts at once, or have one zoomed in and one zoomed out. I think this unit gives the user greater flexibility in how you want to split up the screen, and what you want to display in each window. The choice is yours. I think having all three functions (plotter, radar, & sonar) is a bit much for one 10 inch screen though. I went with a seperate radar unit. I think the Simrad 42 is a really nice unit, but Simrad's advertising campaign is very poor. That is why there is not more hype about them. I compared to Raytheon, and no comparison. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
HABS-
I looked at the SIMRAD CA42 at the NY JAvits show and spent a lot of time with the Rep who told me a few things...
The new TFT Sun screens are an addition to this years' SIMRAD models, primarily in response to owners complaining that they were not visible in sun or bright light conditions. He wasn't able to tell me that there were any long term tests(gurantees?) (one or more seasons) to see if things like fading, or darkening would occur. This was a problem on other manufacturer's screens in the past. Most of the other companies have resolved those problems.

The SIMRADS have a "3D Mode" in the radar display which is great for picking out objects that might be 'behind' another object (like boats at anchor where they are almost obscured by another vessel).

As far as other makes go, SITEX, RAYMARINE and FURUNO all have the technology to do multiple screen (including all 3 at once), the ability to change color palettes, radar overlay, split screen zoom, single screen view, etc.

The technical specs are all about the same with the antennas all having the same beam width and available power.

Simrad's casing seems to be more "professional" grade in appearance (I believe it is anodized aluminum), but they are ALL waterproof except SITEX which is weatherproof!

I looked at and tested them all(in actual use not just the "dummy" displays in the show rooms). I found the FURUNO to be the most user friendly. The RAYMARINES were not offering anything for the additional $$$ over FURUNO. The extra $$ for the SIMRADS, I felt, were for the "3D" technology, the casing,and the cost of importing them.SITEX were not heavily recommended (radar wise) by my friends. I chose the 1833C NAVNET by FURUNO,because of recommendation, reputation and the fact that they have been voted best Recreational and Commercial Radar,and Best Recreational and Commercial Sonar for quite a while. And when you look at what's top side on all the party and charter boats in any port, FURUNO appears almost all the time.

TSLTW

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've narrowed my search to the Furuno 1833C and the Simrad CA-42. Also checking prices -- neither items are cheap. Where did you purchase them from?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Habs-
My nephew gets a good deal from a distributor direct from factory at slightly above cost. If it weren't for him, I would have odered from Consumer Marine Electronics.

For the Navnets they had just about the best prices. You will find some slightly lower, but then they have to back order. Consumer is well stocked, no tax and I have friends that got their order next day!

Keep in mind that you will need a heading sensor (flux gate compass) to fully utilize the Radar over lay feature. It is really needed if you are doing a lot of drift fishing or real slow power drifting, other wise the headings interfaced from the GPS will work fine. FURUNO has a heading sensor that is somewhere in the $500 range but you can use a good azimuth compass as long as it is NMEA 0183 compliant.

Also, there is supposedly a backlog on the C-Map NT cards, since they were overwhelmed by the demand.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.