NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what a sliver eel is?
It is caught in our waters usually on a wreck.
It supposedly gets pretty large and is supposedly is good eating.
I have never saw one and was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a picture of one or the scientific name.
If I had the scientific name I could look it up quickly.
I don't think that it is an Americal eel because they don't get that large.
If anyone could help me, it would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

kingfish1

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Silver eels sorta look like American eel except much much larger. They are also called Conger eels, however most locals think of the Ocean Pout as a Conger eel but this is incorrect. I've caught them up to 6' long and can be somewhat intimidating looking. This past saturday a small one was caught on the party boat I was on while blackfishing...maybe about 3 foot long. Alot of older fisherman seem to like em. I've never personally eaten one, however I have tried Pout which wasn't too bad. If you do an internet search on silver eels also try CONGER EELS.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
199 Posts
there actually is a difference between silver eels and conger eels. Can't really explain what a silver eel is, as i have only seen them a few times. From what i remember, they look basically like an american eel, but they are a silver color, and they grow very large. I remember them being thicker than a guys arm. I do know that they are more plentiful after an ocean storm, as they come out of the wreck to eat on the food that is around after a storm.

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes a silver eel looks my like a regular eel but longer they do not look at all like an ocean pout/conger they are orangish. We caught one silver while togging in 60' of water on a wreck, never got another, the guy who took it home thinks they are great eating. I have eaten those conger/pouts and they are all right fry em) then again I will try anything edible at least once Gary.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes a silver eel looks my like a regular eel but longer they do not look at all like an ocean pout/conger they are orangish. We caught one silver while togging in 60' of water on a wreck, never got another, the guy who took it home thinks they are great eating. I have eaten those conger/pouts and they are all right fry em) then again I will try anything edible at least once Gary.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hello All,
Gottog is correct, the real name for Silver Eel is in fact Conger Eel. What we call Conger Eel is Ocean pout. Both are white meat fish. I'll eat conger eel filleted and fried. Silver eel is skinned and sectioned like shark or ox-tail, and then again fried. While neither one is anyone's fish of choice, they really aren't that bad.
Spinfreak is also correct. Silver eels are more likely to be caught after a storm that has greatly disturbed the water. It gets them out of their nooks and crannies, and seems to put their feed bag on. I know Captain Ed on the Seawolf always lets loose with some choice words when anybody catches one. It usually means bottom fishing will be bad for a couple of days until the fish get all the junk out of their gills.

SEAWOLF

This message was edited by SEAWOLF on 1-21-02 @ 4:29 PM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.