NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Im hoping someone can help me with this...I pour my own lead bucktail heads and finish them off, Ive made a ton and now I want to make silver bullets. Does anyone know where I can get the mold from? I checked out do-it molds web site but I didnt see a mold for it. Does anyone know if there is a patent on this style, thus making it hard or impossible to obtain a mold? If anyone knows anything about this (and Im sure you guys do, you guys know everything!:))please respond! Thanks
Greggie

·
Registered
157 Posts
greggie195

If you have a patern you want a mold of, you can pour a mold out of plaster, or Silastic. There is an excellent book for anyone out there who wants to start making there own tackle. The book is Modern Tackle Craft, by C Boyd Pfeiffer. This book will tell you how to make just about anything there is that is needed to fish. It runs about $40.00 or so i have had mine for about five years now. It tells you everything you need. I would offer a money back guarantee but i am broke. But it is a good purchase i think. Check it out .

always gottafly

G

·
I've had great results making 2 part molds for all kinds of lead jigs . I make mine from boxes of powder "Floor Leveling Compound". Commonly availabler at most hardware stores
(Like Aubuchons, Walmart ect)
It makes a mold thats much harder & long lasting than plaster. Email me if you want to discuss how to make a mold.
PS: you could always modify a musket ball bullet mold available at gun shops too.

Maury

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys,

I wanted to let you know that there is a new edition of the Tackle Craft book. It's now called "The Complete Book of Tackle Making" by the same author. At last check is was selling for around $14 (565 pages) at Amazon.

- Erik

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting it chromed is not that big of a problem, I use Pro-Tec Powder Paint I found the chrome color at Terminal Tackle in Kings Park, Im sure you can also find it online. Thanks for all the posts guys, I dont fully understand the mold making process though, if I use plaster, or compund, how can it handle the high heat of molten lead???

Greggie

G

·
To make the mold, find or make a cardboard box slightly larger than the item to be cast.
Mix up enough floor leveling compound to fill it half way up where there will be enuf thickness to the mold.
Spray the item to be cast with a light spray of cooking spray.
This is the hard part & will only come by practice:
Gently put the item to be cast into the liquefied floor leveling goop.
It should only sink in half way. If it sinks more than half way mix up some more powder in what you have till it doesnt sink any more.
When you have done it right, DONT TOUCH IT ANYMORE till its rock hard.
Putting it to dry in a warm dry place like a home heating vent will help.
When its rock hard, coat the item & also the whole face of the half-mold with more cooking spray.
Now cover the whole thing with a second layer of floor goop & tap on a firm surface to make sure it all settles.
When COMPLETELY DRY seperate the 2 halves CAREFULLY with a knife or a screwdriver
(I said carefully)
Remove the model of what you cast.
Now you have to choose where you make a "sprue" to pour the lead into your new mold.
Make the sprue a V shape and make it so that it is equally spaced between the both halves, in a place where the mold will releas the lure easily & where it will be the easiest to cut off.
When mold is COMPLETLY DRY you can attempt to cast a jig in it. If its not completely dry it will steam & spit like a mutha, be very careful.
Melt the lead ONLY HOT ENUF TO FLOW into the mold.
PS you can carve reliefs for hooks, sinker eyes, grommets etc carefully working with a dremel tool.
I know this may seem hard but hey, its a hobby aint it.
Good luck & you can always email me.
Im surprised no one has yet.

Maury

PPS Greggie:
Once the mold is made & COMPLETELY DRIED....
DONT RUSH THE DRYING PROCESS !!
it takes the heat of molten lead easily.

This message was edited by Raven on 3-6-02 @ 5:39 PM

·
Registered
60 Posts
gregg i dont think the mold for the bullets exist commercially what the guys are doing is buying cannon ball molds and retooling a groove to accept the brass eyelet.terminal tackel has the mold i saw it the other day.trace out the eyelet and groove with a dremel or chisel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.