NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past couple of years I have been using bullets and jigs for fluke with good results. I am just curious as to what a silver bullet is supposed to imitate and how do you rig yours (I used a longer leader on the teaser than Al G's setup). Also, is it me or are bullets more productive early in the season and less useful towards the end of the summer?

By the way it was a pleasure to meet you at the Freeport, even it was only for a minute.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Gamakatsu,
First of all? It was my pleasure to meet you at the show and hope to see you at our fishing grounds.

Now, the Silver bullet was discovered approximately 6-7 years ago and it was patented by Smokey from Lindenhurst B&T. I used it (bounced the bottom) and it did a number on weakfish, stripers and big fluke!

The way I rig it is simple? Tie it directly with fluorocarbon leader and about 25?-30? high I create a dropper loop and tip it with a chartreuse teaser. Depending what you are targeting? I generally tip the Silver bullet with a pork rind (Striped bass), a purple or red jellyworm (weakfish) or squid strip w/ sandeel ?or- spearing (fluke). This jig is absolutely deadly when jigging from a boat (vertical jigging) and during the fall when the bass are feeding from the bottom chasing schools of spearing and mullet. ;)

Just wondering... do you use it with a conventional or a spinning outfit?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Hey Al,

Thanks for the great idea of using the silverbullet as a jighead for the big red worms I use for weaks. Last year at Ocean Beach we needed 2 oz jig heads for our plastic worms fishing on a few typical very windy April/May days. They were hard to find again, now Wal-Mart carries them, but I think having the worm free swinging on a swivel from a silver bullet or even a diamond jig might give it an even better action.

I have only managed to catch fluke, nice ones though, and a couple of accidental porgies on the silver bullets. I will change that this year.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been using a 10 - 12# spinning rod for jigging and done very well up until now. While I was in Florida last month I ordered a Calstar GX-7 and I am going to put a Calcutta 400 or comparable reel on it. I like the spinning reel a lot in shallow water, but I think a conventional maybe better suited when heavier jigs are called for. I have to be honest, I never really liked fluke fishing until I started using jigs, but now I look forward to it.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Al,
What lb. test fluorocarbon do you use and what length do you make your teaser when fluking?
I find that I need to use either 40 or 50 lb. test fluorcarbon to get the same stiffness for the teaser that I get from 20 or 30 lb. test mono.
I fish in western LI Sound and use a calcuuta 250 and an Al G custom fluke rod with my silver bullet rig.
Also, when Fall appears, I stop using the silver bullet and go to a hi-lo rig.
Your web site is great and I probably check it out at least 4-5 times weekly. I really appreciate the insight and experience that you and guys like Gamakatsu, etc. freely give out.
You make fishing fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.