NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Al,

When you use a silver bullet rig for fluke, what lb. test fluorocarbon do you use and what length is your teaser leader?

I find that I need to use either 40 or 50 lb. test fluorocarbon to get the same stiffness for the teaser that I get from 20 or 30 lb. test mono.

I fish in western LI Sound using a calcutta 250 and Al G custom fluke rod with my silver bullet rig and teaser. When late summer appears, I switch to a hi-lo rig.

Your web site is great and I probably check it out at least 4-5 times weekly. I really appreciate the insight and experience that you and guys like Gamakatsu, etc. freely give out. You make fishing fun.

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
Mel,

For most of my inshore fluking I use 10 to 14 pound braid with a 20 pound flouro leader. When I go out to the ocean I switch to a rod with 30 pound braid and a 40 pound flouro leader. When using a teaser, I have those leaders already tied on 30 pound mono with the teaser 18 - 24 inches above the jig.

I have always found that flouro is stiffer than comprable mono and harder to tie knots in. I am wondering if you are using flouro line instead of flouro leader material.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Melfluke wrote:
When you use a silver bullet rig for fluke, what lb. test fluorocarbon do you use and what length is your teaser leader??.. Your web site is great and I probably check it out at least 4-5 times weekly. I really appreciate the insight and experience that you and guys like Gamakatsu, etc. freely give out. You make fishing fun.
______________________________________________________________________-

Hello Melfluke,

Thanks for the kind words and I am glad you are enjoying my posts. :)

OK, depending where I am fishing for large doormats? When I am working the ?Ocean? side? I generally use heavier silver bullets (4-6 Onz.) with 50lbs. fluorolcarbon leader.

When fishing the skinny waters -or- backbays (deaphs less than 30 ft. waters)?. I will downsize to 30lbs. fluoralcarbon leader and use anywhere from 1 ½ - 3 oz. Silver bullets. As for the length between the teaser and silver bullet - my teaser is approximately 15?-20? away from the bullet.

Also, the key to fishing the silver bullets is to work the moving tide (generally the first hour and half and last hour and half of the tide) and constantly bounce it up & down with a quick wrist action. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Doughboy and Al for replying.

Al,what I did want to know is the length of the dropper loop teaser you use.

Doughboy, I was comparing stiff 47" lengths of mono, 20 and 30 lb. test, to fluorocarbon leader.
I use Seaguar fluorocarbon leader. I checked out Al G's fluke rigs at the Freeport show. He uses 30 lb 47" mono leader strands and his teaser dropper loop (approx. 4" long) sticks out almost at a 45 degree angle to the leader rig. I'm curious as to the teaser lengths you and the other guys use.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
melfluke wrote:
Al,what I did want to know is the length of the dropper loop teaser you use.

....I checked out Al G's fluke rigs at the Freeport show. He uses 30 lb 47" mono leader strands and his teaser dropper loop (approx. 4" long) sticks out almost at a 45 degree angle to the leader rig. I'm curious as to the teaser lengths you and the other guys use...

Hello Melfluke,

Al Goldberg and I?ve been fishing together for over 15 years now and we use the similar fluke tactics and fish the same doormat grounds.

BTW: My dropper loop is equivalent to his rigs...and at times, I also use a nail knot (single 50lbs. test line) hanging 4"-6" out! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.