NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I was wondering if this would be a fun topic and knowledgeable for all.
Being a retired Commercial man I pin hooked for years with a side winder fishing for Tog, Cod, Fluke, Flounder,
Blues( not by trying?), even had some stripers by accident eating crabs while black fishing, Some of my other buddies told mew stories of catch 70 to 80 LBS Grouper. In Fla. when commercially fishing.
So number 1 anybody give us a history on the side winder. Number 2 list your most unusual experience using 1?
I hooked a big shark which almost broke my knuckles while cod fishing off shore deep water.
I attached some pictures for those of you who do not know what a side winder is.
I personally will not fish with anything but a sidewinder for Tog.
I have caught numerous number's of big tog over 12 LBS. and in VA. Landed 1 close 16LBS.
Still looking for the 20LBs. hope you enjoy this and have fun with it Capt. Mike.
http://home.earthlink.net/~steven0010/

Attachments

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Nice looking reels. Glad to see they're still being used, though they would probably be worth more in better condition.

When my father took me on my first South shore codfish trip on the Capt. Al an old-timer was using a side winder reel on an old rod (he said it was a pool cue, maybe it was!) and he did very well too!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Mike,

Why do you prefer the sidewinder reel to a reel with a gear ratio for togging?Just tradition, or is there a feature about it.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I started using them when I was 16 on Al Lindroth's boat. My two memorable day's were taking 28 bluefish on bait when I was 16. Al Kelly on the Tampa showed me how to use the winder for them. And 7 codfish to 45-pounds one January. I used a 3 inch on a split bamboo rod for fluke and flounder, and did 75 blackfish in a rental skiff from Pump's in Bayville one October.
But, I lost plenty of fish while learning how to use them.
I gave a 4-inch to Mike at Atlantic Bait & Tackle last week & I heard he trimmed Kenny blackfishing on Rock Reef with it.
We were practicing underhand casting in the parking lot. He got pretty good.
For blackfish and baitfishing cod in 120-feet or less I still won't use anything else.
Mine are all old 1960's bake-o-lites from Uneeda reel in B'klyn.

Bill

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the diffrences

Well dough boy the Sidewinder does have its advantages and disadvantages. Number one reason I like sidewinders is the 1 to 1 battle no drag. But the most important fact I find is the need to let out line in current. I don?t know if you have ever fished black fish in current you would need a 20 to 24 oz. sinker? But the advantage of the sidewinder allows you to let out line and have the feel of the bite without having to lock a bail. This timing is crucial to the Tog bite and is why I out fish most people 2 to 1 with a sidewinder in current. It?s funny because I still fish with my buddies s that still have commercial licenses so I fish at least 2 to 3 times a week for tog. My friends that do not use them always make fun of me but I tell them when they could out fish me I?ll stop using them.
If you look at bill?s post above he mentioned Mike from Atlantic Bait n tackle has received one which Bill gave him. I took mike out on a commercial trip with us and he claimed he was taking pictures watching me bail Tog?s. My other non sidewinder users were making fun of me again but I have the last laugh. So now I let mike use mine and I think he?s hooked on it. So last Fri. When I couldn?t make the trip Kenny and Mike went with my commercial buddy and mike brought the sidewinder and got abused like myself. but from what Bill says he showed them up? Back to the point. The sidewinder is just a different feel also not having drag you have to fight the fish and know how to back off when they are pulling hard. Also I get the fish off the bottom very fast no chance of that baby pulling me in the wreck on the big fish. And of course the cast. I am as accurate as a gun with casting it is free spool all the way. But the big down side is the old knuckle buster and learning how to use them. I put my lumps in here but well worth it. Some people love them some hate them. Me I would not fish without them or I would stay home.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Thanks for the info Togmaster. Unfortunatly, I have limited experience with tog and I have only seen the sidewinders in a catalog. While I really enjoyed the times I went, I haven't set aside the time from the pursuit of other fish or hunting to go much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sidewinders

Started fishing with sidewinders 56 years ago on board the White Eagle out of Carnise.Almost everyone did then,a guy in Ridgewood made them and they went for 3.50.Still use it for blackfish today,have 4 ofthem left.
Keep them fishing
Fishined

·
Registered
15 Posts
THE OLD SIDEWINDER

HI FISHINED

FUNNY YOU BROUGHT UP CANARISE I WAS A MATE ON THE OLD PAL AND I USED TO FILL IN ON THE TAMBO, AND WHITE EAGLE WITH CAPT. NEIL, HE WAS VERY FUSSY WITH HIS BOAT IT WAS ONE OF THE CLEANEST DOWN THERE, DO YOU REMEMBER THE GALE FLEET THAT WAS RIGHT IN BACK OF NEIL? I WAS JUST A KID 16 YEARS OLD, BUT I STARTED MY PARTY BOAT FISHING WITH THE OLD SIDEWINDER, AND WOULD NEVER USE ANY THING BUT, I REMEMBER I BURNT MY FINGERS, TRYING TO HOLD ON TO A SHARK, I HAD HOOKED WHILE BLUEFISHING THAT WAS IN OUR CHUM SLICK, I WOULD LIKE TO GET MY HANDS ON ONE NOW FOR OLD TIMES SAKE THOSE ARE SOME GREAT PIC TOGMASTER

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did he or didn't he?

Bill,
Don't keep us in suspense. Did he get the reel or did it wind up in stealth mode in someone else's tackle box?

For the record, I started fishing with a wooden sidewinder, a Klondike which I still have, in the late 50's. Reel is from the 20's, belonged to my uncle. Learned the hard way that pressure from mono will warp a wooden reel in a hurry. For hard fishing and getting knocked around, the U-Need-A reels were great. Still have a few of those and an old calcutta cod rod, recently returned to me after 20 years by a brother who shall remain nameless. Inshore codfishing ever picks up again and he will be back for it I'll bet.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I don't know if the reel got mungoed or not. Mike Togmaster did you get that reel from the shop?
The only reason I gave you the Calcutta back is the guides kept messing up the felt on my pool table and hanging up in the storm drain when I had to clean it out.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got it

Yes I got it.Had to climb over the counter and jump ontop of the counter then reach high up over Kennys 6f. 4 head but found it on the self . It is cleaned up and has 20lbs power pro and have used it for fluking. Had 12 keepers last monday with my son he had 3 21" fish out fished me in size but it was worth it. Thanks again guys and Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.