NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are everyone's views on using short vs. long rods for kayak fishing?

I prefer a 5'10" Ugly Stik, because the tip of the rod is always wellwithin my reach so I can clear tip-snags, etc.

I've used the short Stik to catch blues, stripers, and bonito off Monomoy Island on Cape Cod, and spring cod off Cape Ann.

I also like the Stik because it's so whippy: it makes every fish, even little mackerel, feel HUGE.

What do you all have to say about rod lengths?

Finally, another advantage of a short rod is how easily it can be stored on the foredeck, without overhang.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been using 7 ftrs, it's about the longest I can handle in the yak much aggrevation. I find that I am casting to fish from the yak about half the time so I like the length. My rods also have to do double duty off the beaches/jetties when kids want to come along.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The minimum length of your rod should be determined by the distance from your seat, to the bow. You must be able to accomodate a fish crossing from left to right, and vice versa. I use a six foot rod, but I have a short (12'6") kayak. If my kayak was longer, I would require a longer rod. You should use the MINIMUM length that clears the bow, because the longer the rod, the greater the mechanical advantage for the fish. Long rods are for long casts, not necessary on a kayak!

Flounder

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree with flounder, I always want to be able to get the tip around the bow of boat. I for some reason always land fish on the left of my kayak so i need that ability to get the tip around.
bye the way flounder where you been? Lets hook up and fish sometime, things are prerry hot over here in my area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have always used long rods.I have a WS Tarpon its 16 feet long .I use a 8 foot rod for the big guys .I can clear the end with one hand extended out.Also use a 8'6" Steelhead rod for schoolies.Like Joey I always land them with the left hand.
JoeV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.