NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Center console experts,
I've been shopping for a good used center console in the 18 to 20 ft. range with a 90 to 150 horse power engine. I don't want to pay more than 16 K. While I realize I'm looking at "economy" low end makes; it's difficult to get real info. on what is semi-good quality or just crap. I need to trailer with a Nissan Xtera so I can't go too heay/big. I fish mostly light tackle in LI Sound and the eastern bays.

Any pros/cons on the following boats that I have found that seem to fit my criteria/price range:

- 2004 Polar 19 ft w/ 115 Yamaha, 16K

- 2004 Sea Boss 18.5 ft. w/ 115 Johnson, 14.5K

- 2005 Trophy 19 ft. w/ 125 Mercury, 17.5K

Any suggestions.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
I personally have a 20' Seahunt with a 150 yamaha 4-stroke. I would be careful with the 115 Ho engines being underpowered if you plan on taking it in/out any inlets or fast moving water. I take my Seahunt in the Ocean and I like the fact that if I need to goose her to get out of the way or over something I can do it with the 150 without hesitation. I happen to love my boat, the manufacturer has been wonderful with any question I've ever had, so keep an eye out for one of them too. You might get lucky.

Here's one

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I have the Sea Boss. It was my first boat so I went cheap...err "economy". It has a 90 HP Johnson on the back and it is well powered IMO. I am sure the 115 will give you more but there have been times at anchor when a wake will come over the transom. Not an insane amount of water but water none the less. The boat also had 4 guys in it.

I got mine in 2003 boat motor and trailer for around 17/18K new. I think you could do much better on the price for it (especially used). I have had ZERO problems with the boat and engine. It is great on gas and doesn't burn a lot of oil. I think they are hanging Mercs on them now. Don't know if that is good or bad.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. I am in a different financial situation now I would get something around 23 feet. I do get bounced around in the sound on some days. I missed a noreast raft up because of snotty conditions.

Your Xtera will tow around 5000 lbs (or close), I would consider something maybe a little older with low hours on the motors and a little bigger, 21 ft maybe. There are TONS out there. Just look at the classifieds here. Key West boats are also not very expensive.

Good Luck

·
Registered
689 Posts
First - of those three I would go with the Polar.(although I hear Trophy has gotten better)
Second - you should be able top do much better on the price like filo stated- especially if you pay in cash.
Third - checkout some boat repo sites
Fourth- Look for a boat with no bottom paint that has never been kept in the water
Center Consuls have always been hard to find but with the economic climate now you should be able to get one pretty cheap
I think you should find soemthing in the 10-12k range up here and even less then that in the south if you are patient.
After a long search I just picked up a 20 ft Dusky, w/ t-top and a fishfinder with a 1991 Johnson on a new alum trailer for 7.5k -boat looks like new and motor runs great. So be patient and you should be able to gte some deal right now.

·
Registered
826 Posts
BUY THE BOAT AND TRAILER! TAKE ME FISHING AND I WILL TOW IT FOR YOU WITH MY 2500HD! lol hahah

J.k.

MY smaller boat is a 24 center console and it is kick AZZ!!

it has twin 150 mercs.. but it consumes fuel but runs great!

I would look into that or evena use PARKER!!

PARKERS are very solid.. my friend had an 18 and we used to run that in anything offshore!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
i have a mako from the 70's with a 90 horse n1995 evenrude and love it...still hits about 28 knots but thats all i need. 17K will get you a nice mako from the 80's with a new motor. look on www.classicmako.com.....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'll second the mako,I have an older 85 hull 25.4 with an 02 yamaha 250,this boat cuts through the crap like a hot knife through butter and we neaver get wet. You would be real happy with a older 21 with a newer motor.Like BG said check classic mako com they have all the info on what year and what hulls are the best. Good Luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
do not even concider sea boss unless you want problems ,I owned 2 of them last year.the first one I had lemon lawed and the second one fell apart .I had over 20 issues w/ the boats .I know as a fact they are the worst boats ever.I wouldnt buy a boat that brunswick puts there name on .look around at dealers they are all dropping sea boss due to the poor quality .if you want more info pm me and I will help talk you out of it .

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
2001 Key West 19' CC with a Yamaha 115 4s. Perfect boat for bay, LI Sound etc. Have had it out in conditions that I probably had no business being out in. The engine has been fantastic, over 700 hrs with no issues. Not underpowered. Modified v hull, stable at rest, pounds a bit in a chop, great in a following sea. Have really used this boat hard for the last for the last 7 seasons and can recommend it w/o reservations. Any questions shoot me a PM.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thankyou

Guys- Thank you for all your help the recommendations/advice will help me tremendously.

Catfishhunter, I was a little suspicious of the Sea Boss line of boats, you confirmed my fears.

I also like the older makos, I just concerned that I would get a bad/damaged hull with an older boat. How are the makos from mid-1990's not the same as the older ones?

Darthbaiter, you burst my bubble about the Polar, I was leaning toward that model. The one I was interested in is a 2004 and it looks like the 2004 line had the problems with the Gell Coat after reading the discussions. I need to do a little more research on the brand. Could it be that virtually all 2004 boats have this problem or is it 1 in 20? It looked like a well built boat.

As far as prices, I just listed their asking price. It's encouraging that most think I can get a much better price.

Bigfished, nice lookin boat. I Will have to look at that brand more closely.

Any thoughts on Proline center consoles?

Thanks again,

Tom

·
Registered
933 Posts
Those three you mention seem underpowered, I would get a boat in the 20-23 ft range, If I had to choose any of the ones you mentioned though I would get the Polar. I dont like the Trophy(bayliner). Before the boat I had now I had a 1996 18' Sea Ray Laguna CC with a 175hp merc. Good bay boat. If you get something in the 20-23 you can fish some good spots right outside the inlet, if you have a 17' it will be much lighter and get tossed around. The few extra feet matter I went from that 18' to a 21' Boston Whaler and can go 25 miles offshore compared to fishing in the bay and inlet with the 18'

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
Polars look like great boats, I personally have no experience with em. I did read some threads about the gel coat problems and thought you should know. You should still go see the boat and make you own decision.
I'm sure if they all had problems, we'd hear a lot more than those few threads.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
also look into carolina skiff. that have a semi v hull now and these boats require less power that a standard boat to achieve the same speeds...wide as well. a 24 goes for about 7000 plus an engine and they raised the gunnels this year...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2003 21' Sea Boss and while certainly not a Grady or Yellowfin, I have not had 1 single problem with her. Fit and finish is just "OK", but it is a lower end boat.

She floats and always got me home with NO problem.

I know several others with similar year (not newer) 21" Sea Boss boats who beat the **** out of them and they also report no problems.
Their may be some issues with newer ones tho judging by Catfishunters reports.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.