NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use 20 lb Big Game line as my regular line. When the 40 lb JT brand shocker line is knotted to it via a shocker knot, there does not seem to be enough clearance thru my rod tip guide. In fact, I snapped a plug off when the knot must have jammed up going thru the tip. Should I just try 30 lb test? Maybe use a section of 20 lb big game line as my shocker line with a blood knot & keep changing it each time I go out?
Tight lines

·
Registered
198 Posts
It depends on how much shock leader you are using. If you are using about 4 feet or less (which is all you need for tossing plugs) tie it to a swival with a palomer know. I just had this problem and recieved many informed and helpful replies. Look further down this discussion for "Knots Snapping" by On The Fly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OTF,
I'm going from the 2' wire leader to a couple of turns on the spinning reel. I've read your posting and answers. How in the heck do you get 50 lb test (and knot to your line) to run thru your guides freely??

·
Registered
498 Posts
Why would you need a shocker to throw PLUGS, what size plugs are you throwing? 6oz
I was always under the impresion you use a "Shock Leader" to throw bait and wieght not plugs

Onthefly,
A shock leader is one that wraps around the reel a few times to give you strength to throw large wieght 5-6oz or more

This message was edited by fourtwenty on 10-31-01 @ 2:55 PM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4-20
I guess I'm all screwed up in my thinking & what I've read!!
I'm throwing normal (?) sized plugs @ 2oz. or so. I thought you needed "shocker" line so you don't get wear & tear on your "normal" line.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Some people may do that, for that reason I'm sure but I garantee you if you go to 15# test with a 30# leader(not a shock leader but one like onthefly describes) you'll be amazed how much further you cast. I still use mono(15 or17#) and change it every coupla weeks but next year I'm making the move to Braid

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I fish with 20# fireline with a 6 ft. 40# florocarbon tip on my heavy surf rig. I attach it with an albright knot, and it passes through the guides with no problem. The key to preventing it from slipping is to take a full turn around the standing part of the floro. before you start winding (at least 8 turns) back on the loop.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
You could also use a uni-to-uni knot to attach mono leader to mono line. It holds well and is a small knot that should pass through your guides without a problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do what spygull does (20 lb fireline and 40lb fluoro leader) the distance on the cast w/o the stretch that mono has is well worth the expense, IMHO. Only difference for me is that I attach line to leader with a barrel swivel, and my leader is only around 30". I also sent a plug flying when my albright knot caught on a guide, so I decided to keep the attachment outside of the guides. I often wonder if the leader is worth the trouble, since it is so much easier to just tie on with no extra hardware. I also wonder, in my case, if the barrel swivel causes unwanted disturbance on the surface when I'm using a pencil popper (1 -2 oz.). I can see the the barrel actually slapping the water in front of the popper. Anybody have any experience to share on this subject?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your valuable info including, but not limited to, the info on "flurocarbon" leader material which I knew nothing about.
Tight lines, Fred

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Bassomatic,

I have lost surface plugs to bluefish who went after the swivel instead of the plug. I was also using the swivel to attach 3-4 foot flouro leader to fireline. However I like to be able to real the lure closer to the rod tip sometimes when I cast. I have also had problems with the albright and uni knot catching on guides when I real them in any furher than the first few guides.
Now I am using a 3 foot flour leader tied to fireline with an albright special that is even a little more special. I double up the fireline and then wrap it once like spygull said. Then I make ten wraps and pull up tight. Finally, I melt the tag end of the flouro with a lighter to make a little bulb. I tested the knot with the biggest diamond jig I had and it never failed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It seems that you guys are making this into a huge project. I use 30lb Fireline to a #5 barrel swivel then about 36 inches of 80 clear mono leader and a coastlock snap. All that stuff about florocarbon leaders and cranking the leader through the guides is crazy. I've caught hundreds of bass to 40lbs with NO problems. Just a suggestion good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
doughboy, many years ago I read that you are not supposed to use a match or lighter to remove the excess line after tying a knot. It weakens the line 10 to 12 inches away from the knot.

I think what you are doing when you melt the line would be doing the same thing and subsequently making the line weaker.

I can't remember where I read this information but I think I was a pamphlet from a line manufacturer.

redranger

·
Registered
43 Posts
You really don't need a swivel when working certain lures eg., bucktails swimming plugs and poppers because these lures do not spin like tins. I guess they could from time to time but it's not crucial. I use mono and I change about 70 percent of my line after 2 days of fishing or in a week's time of just sitting. As for shock leaders, a shock leader could be if using braided line for high speed game fish, a mono shock leader would be employed for strech. Also a shock leader could be for a person that is throwing heavy bait and sinker with a line that is too lite to absorb the shock of the cast. Therfore, a heavy mono leader would be long enough to be a few feet from the tip top all the way down to the reel wraping around the reel 3 to 4 times.

This message was edited by surfjerk1 on 11-1-01 @ 6:32 PM

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Plugger, Springman26 and FITZ,

This isn't very complicated stuff. It takes a couple of extra seconds. If you are using Fireline, knots are a special issue, even the manufacturer states that. As I stated earlier, I don't like having a swivel in between my leader and main line, and sometimes I don't want to cast with three or four feet of line off of my rod tip. I said in my first post, for using mono, to utilize a simple uni to uni. That is even simpler to do than tying in a swivel. I know a lot of guys who use the set up you do, I feel more comfortable using it my way. Everyone here is giving they're own opinions on what works for them and why, and it is for Hopkins to decide for himself. Pick whatever your comfortable with and what is easy to tie in the dark and cold of November nights.

Redranger,

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind. The knot is very strong anyway and I don't know if that extra step is necessary.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice to hear people's preferences here...as always there's never one right answer, but I have learned from the responses.

I think we've beaten the horse dead on this one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.