NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Opinari,

They are building two launching ramps for big boats, and SUPPOSED, but up in the air cause Southampton town is fussing more dock space for commercial boats. Town doesn't want more boats there. The reason they have the northern part fenced off is because with the work they're doing it could become unstable, yet people still fish. I stay by the end where the blackfish are! They are also considering adding more boulders to make the inlet smaller, why? IDK... It will just make the water a lot more treacherous for boats. It should be finished before the opening of next season though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jmc.

i know it's a suffolk county park, but who are "they"? southhampton town? suffolk county? army corp of engineers? ny state? feds?

is there a comprehensive plan?
environmental impact statement?
public hearing?

what's up? anyone know?

set,
opinari

This message was edited by OPINARI on 11-2-01 @ 1:39 PM

·
Registered
178 Posts
Shinne**** west might be in Suffolk County, but is under Southampton Town Regulations. About 4 years ago it was under Suffolk County.

It is a mix of a Private Marine Construction Company and the Army Corp of Engineers to watch and make sure everything is stable and won't have effects elsewhere in the inlet.

From what I heard about this construction, it was planned over 2 years ago, and FINALLY got approved by the Southampton Town Council. They wanted it started after the beach season(sept. 15) because they didn't want to drive away tourists.

I remember 4 years ago, the West beach was Suffolk county, just like the East, but you didn't need a permit during the season. Now you need a Southampton Town Permit.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't know,but there was an artcle in the Easthampton Star about the project this summer. The project was being criticized by the local Surfing Community. The area was once a perfect surf break well renowned up and down the coast as Three's. The last project which included the parking lot ruined the break and the sand bars that were also a terrific fishing area. The bars have finally come back and the ACE is of course going to dredge them back to featureless, barren bottom structure.
Here's a picture from 1971, perfect waves!!
Hang Ten Whenever Ya Can
Shag

·
Registered
178 Posts
Shag,

I asked my uncle about what was going on since he is a Southampton town resident. All he knows is that there is still lots of controversey over all the work and there will be little to no sea life because in Late September of 2002 they will be dredging from the West Jetty to the Southampton town beach. It's gonna screw up the beach more than it is right now.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
O.K. Here's the deal. What's happening at Shinne**** is an Army Corps of Engineers project that is allegedly "Emergency" repair for the West jetty.Since the last repair in the early 80's there has been some settling of the jetty due to both undermining from wave action and the fact that the last repair did not completely rebuild the jetty. What you see on the back(north) side of the jetty is the construction of a docking site for barges that will be carrying stone for the rebuilding of parts of the jetty. The next step is to build a steel coffer dam in 50 foot sections to allow some protection from swells while the toe of the jetty is being taken apart and rebuilt. During the winter the construction will concentrate on the center sections with work moving towards the north, finishing up in two years time.Opinari: The Army Corps is operating under its old (1980's) impact statement. It's a complete fabrication, it doesn't take into account recreational impact or impact on all the bottom that is to be removed. Yes there has been a series of public hearings,thanks to the local surfing community's effort the last meeting actually made the Corps give us some facts and figures and perhaps some modifications that could lessen the project's impact on the surf break and fishing on the northern end of the jetty. In a closed door meeting the Corps admitted that the project is not an actual emergency, but the money is there to start the project so it's a case of use it or lose it! The reason that the Southampton Town Board and the Southampton Town Trustees held up the project are twofold: First the way the plan was proposed would adversely affect the quality of life in the Town. Trucking in all the stone and equipment would have made a terrible traffic situation even worse, this along with damage to the local roads made the proposal unacceptable as written. Also the noise and dust from construction would have adversely impacted the neighboring businesses during the short tourist season.Secondly the Trustees have total control over all bottomlands in the Town of Southampton. The project as first proposed did not take into account disruption of the bottom and the impact on both the commercial and recreational fishing in the area. Sorry for being long winded but it's a fairly complicated issue that deserves clarification. LATER

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bucktail,

thank you very much for your detailed response.
it sounds like you have cause for concern.

i would like to learn more about this plan. do you know of any official link that would provide that info.

when you say "toe" do you mean the southern portion of the jetty?

set,
opinari

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Opinari: By toe of the jetty, I am refering to that part of the jetty which is below the inlet bottom, the way the engineers tried to explain it was that by building a stronger "foundation" for the jetty, the problems that have occured would not happen again. Time will tell. LATER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.