NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shimano website says that the trinidad 40 &50 has 33 lbs of drag thats seems more then enough for just about any jigging application. Any comments on the reel for an all around tuna jigging reel. Why do more people favor lever drags over star drags for jigging? If you want to tighten the drag with a fish on, just push the star up a lil with caution? I don't see a star drag being any less leathal then a lever, except you know your exact drag setting with a lever. With a star drag if you know the reel you have a good idea how much drag you are adding if needed. Then the other option is a saltiga 50 has 22 lbs which is a lil on the low side if you run into something of size. I am looking at the 665w but I am hearing the maitence is ridiculous? I like the 16vsx but reconized that salt water can easily enter the reel from the side plate where the lever rides the plastic teeth. I just want the best bang for my buck without upgrading drags, want it right out the box. Picking a tuna jigging reel is really hard today,lol. Any comments appricated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Of all the reels you mentioned I like the 665 best. It is butter smooth, tons of drag and it feels real nice in your hand. Maint has not been a problem from my experience. I fished my buddy's Saltiga 50 and liked that reel too, but after 2 season (should I say discovered in 2nd season) the drag washers were cracking and chipped. He was able to get more than 22lbs drag after he cleaned the reel and used Cals grease. The trinidads are known good reels. I fished the 40 and it is big. Its too big for me for our average tuna, but it really put a hurting on them. Good luck in decision.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
All of this had been covered here already, and more than once. Use the search link to your advantage. To recoup quickly:

Saltiga 50 is the same size as Trini 30. Shimano 40 and 50 reels are in a completely different size and weight class, they are much larger.

Best bang for the buck in the tuna jigging reel department would be a Daiwa Saltist 40 or 50 with drags and bearings swapped out for the ones available from Smoothdrag.com. If your technophobia won't let you turn a couple of screws to get this done - too bad. The Fin-Nor Offshore star drag reels may well nudge the Saltist out of the best BfB spot when they are finally released. We'll have to wait and see.

Penn Torque reels are quite a bit heavier than the competition, and their free spool isn't the greatest. Hardly what I'd call good bang for the buck. They routinely sell on eBay for better than hundred bucks below MSRP - I guess I'm not the only who feels that way.

The only compelling reason I can think of for getting a small powerhouse lever drag for jigging tuna is the magic button - that lever drag had better be a two speed. Right now the two speed Accurate Boss reels are available, but the pricing isn't very attractive. John Baker reels can be had for a lot less dinero from Charkbait, but I haven't seen them in person, so I can't recommend them. Personally, I'm holding out for the Everol super 12/20 two speed which should hopefully be on the market by the time September rolls around.

This post edited by FishWisher 06:00 PM 01/27/2008

·
Registered
509 Posts
CAPTJEFFHB wrote:

Why do more people favor lever drags over star drags for jigging?

If you want to tighten the drag with a fish on, just push the star up a lil with caution?

I am looking at the 665w but I am hearing the maitence is ridiculous?

1. that facts are clear- most people DO NOT favor lever drags over star drags. the vast majority use star drags.

yes, there are a few compact lever drags on the market that have become very fashionable. but lever drags are not necessary and may even be undesirable in the vast majority of circumstances.

2. yes, exactly. in fact, many lever drags should be considered inferior in this regard because once the drag is pre-set, there is only a limited range of pressure available from moving the lever. (of course, you've gotta be careful about the star as well)

3. i have not seen reason to be concerned about maintenance.

i don't mean to bash the little lever drags. there are some fishermen who love them. but there are arguments against the little powerhouses that explain why star drags dominate this market.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
You got to decide first whether you like 3/0 reel or 4/0 size reel as all the reel you mentioned are good for tuna jigging.
Between Trinidad 40 and 50, 40 is better for jigging as 40 has enough line capacity for any tuna under 200 lbs.

Between Saltiga 40/50 and Torium 40/50, upi gpt tp decide first whether you like 3/0 reel or 4/0 size reel and how big tuna you target.
Saltiga 40/50 is 3/0 size reel while heavier Trinidad 40/50 is 4/0 size reel. Saltiga 40/50 has 24 - 25 lbs drag out of box while Trinidad 40/50 has 33 lbs drag. You have no problem to catch any tuna under 150 lbs using Saltiga 50.

The reason why Saltiga 40/50 than Trinidad 40/50 is popular among tuna jig fishermen is the reel is lighter, strong enough to catch average tuna caught on the East Coast, is very convinient to handle as it is 3/0 size reel. But if you target any tuna over 150 lbs, Trinidad 40/50 is better choice.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
CAPTJEFFHB wrote:
Hey kil if weight and size don't matter which reel is better to target tuna 100-200lb class. Penn torque 300 or shimano trinidad 40?
If you target big tuna in 100 - 200 lbs and weight/size are not issue, I would recommend Trinidad 40.
Check Ocea Jigger 5000P which is Japanese version of Trinidad 40. You'll like it. Torgue 300 is designed for Japanese style fast jigging with short handle and fast gear ratio. For big tuna jigging, you don't need higer gear ratio, but more cranking power.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Here is a picture showing the spool size of some of the reels talked about in this thread. This might help you with your decision. I also own a saltiga 50 and a trinidad 30,40N, and 50 but they are at another location. I'll try and take a picture of all different size jigging reels next time I get all the tackle together for a family reunion.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Bill, you're not a tackle ho'. You're a tackle madam!

How does JB12 stack up against 665/2? It would be nice to get an unbaised review. Have you considered filling it with line yet?

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
John Baker 12

Mrbill,
SpecialK posted about his new John Baker 12 on 360tuna.

Just got off the phone with Matt from Charkbait.

After a few phone conversations with John Baker he had setup a reel for me to replace the one I sent back. The reel he is sending me apparently is going to have quite a bit more drag compared to the ones ordered through Charkbait.
It is the same body that MrBill ordered but John has made a special cam and put the heavier set of bellvilles in it. Matt told me they tested it last night and had it pushed to 58# at full and that they didnt push it farther than that, but they were sure it would do more. They were also sending me the regular cam and bellvilles to switch out if I wanted.
Apparently this reel with be overnighted and I should get it in tomorrow.
Needless to say I am a little anxious to test the drag on this reel. I am thinking that if it tests this high I probably do not want to fish 80# braid on it... I should probably go with 130# and lose a little capacity when I want to push the drag.
I will post some pictures when I get it.

How is freespool, moving drag lever and handle with such a high drag ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the pics bill, I feel I might go with the penn 300 or the trinidad 40. If I go with the lever it will be the torsa 30 or accurate 665w. Kil that JB12 sound like a serious reel, bumping it up to 130 lb test is a must with that drag. I would say it is worth losing a lil line capacity figuring you could put the hammer down a lot harder and getting the fish to the boat quicker. would you be using pe line or hollow core?

·
Registered
336 Posts
FishWisher wrote:

How does JB12 stack up against 665/2? It would be nice to get an unbaised review. Have you considered filling it with line yet?

I have not fished the JB12 yet. It has incredible free spool. I am unbaised about all tackle and sometimes find myself getting yelled at on fishing boards for telling what I believe is the truth.
Last week I was on a fishing board that I hadn't visited in a long time. I made one post a certain brand of reel that I had a bad experience with and then was attacked. I'm not one to back down. So, I kept letting them have it. Next thing I know, the thread is gone and the moderator put up a new thread about the rules of posting.

He did a great job about explaning his rules. I caught his thread a few days later. I was still being attacked without saying a word on the new rules thread. When I made a post about how nobody was following his rules,
the thread was gone.

Some people fall in love with a particular brand and will knock everything else. I always stick to the upper end of the manufacter's line.

I have eight new reels waiting for me to make a decision on what brand of braid to purchase. I have mixed feelings about all brands right now. I wish someone would give a honest report about Blackwater's line. It's expensive, and I hate to buy it just because everybody fell in love with it at the Fred Hall show last year.

I did buy a small amount of blackwater and loaded it on a nice reel. I gave the reel away as a Christmas present before using it. My mistake. I should have taken the line off and fished it.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Mrbill,
Thanks information on the John Baker reel. I know the reel is good, but I was curious how the free spool is on high drag.
Do you have John Baker's number ? I'd like to talk with him to know at which tackle show I can see his reels. I'd like to see the reel before I buy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
John Baker
PH: 909.856.6392
FX: 909.795.8588

I'll test it again tonight when I get home. I do remember moving the drag lever to full with about a 30# drag setting, and then moving it back to free spool and the spool span like a top. Very good freespool and well balanced.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.