NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
stripedbassking wrote:
do you think the Torium is good reel jigging?
can i jig for small tuna and black fish with the Shimano Torium,
or is it just for live baiting?
Torium is an excellent reel for jigging from seabass to tuna.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The short answer is yes. If you want the long version, do a search on "Shimano Torium". The search link is at the top of this screen. This particular reel has been covered here more often than all the others combined. You can read 'till your eyes bleed.

This post edited by FishWisher 06:14 PM 01/23/2008

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love the torium 20 and 30 for jigging, but you will start reaching its limit with 30+ pound AJs (over structure) and yellowfin over 70 pounds. The antireverse is vulnerable to breaking.

This post edited by bellyups 11:22 PM 01/23/2008

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
bellyups wrote:
I love the torium 20 and 30 for jigging, but you will start reaching its limit with 30+ pound AJs (over structure) and yellowfin over 70 pounds. The antireverse is vulnerable to breaking.Yes, Torium has weak anti-reverse problem.
I found it is OK if you use max drag under 18 lbs on Torium 20/30. So I suggest to use lines upto 65 lbs for Torium 20/30.
I read Fishwisher had no problem with his torium even he used very high drag. I'd like to hear from him how he upgraded the reel.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
It's not exactly a secret. I called up Shimano in Irvine, CA about a year ago, and asked nicely if I could get a Torium anti-reverse dog from the fresh stock. They sent it to me free of charge. The new ones are made of harder alloy, they don't wear out like the old ones did. Other than that, my much used and abused Torium 20 has the Shimano's standard drag upgrade parts, Carbontex drags, ABEC5 stainless spool bearings, and I use two thin/one thick belleville washers in the stack, so it looks like this (().

Oh, and I cut off the line keeper (a.k.a. palm chafing device) and glued the inside half of it into the sideplate. It's one of the best upgrades you can do to a Torium.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
FishWisher wrote:

Oh, and I cut off the line keeper (a.k.a. palm chafing device) and glued the inside half of it into the sideplate. It's one of the best upgrades you can do to a Torium.
I am totally agree with you. :) I am curious why very few cusotmers complain about it and Shimano doesn't have any intention to get rid of the line keeper or move it to other spot of the reel.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
I read someone posted that anti-reverse failure of Torium could be the result of putting into gear when line is peeling off at a high speed with heavy drag.
He must doesn't have much tuna jigging experinece or he uses light drag.

When tuna jigging, we jig with locked gear, and line goes out when tuna hit jigs and run.
As I said before, you don't see any anti-reverse failure problem if you use the drag under 18 lbs of the Torium.

·
Registered
665 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
I read someone posted that anti-reverse failure of Torium could be the result of putting into gear when line is peeling off at a high speed with heavy drag.
He must doesn't have much tuna jigging experinece or he uses light drag.

When tuna jigging, we jig with locked gear, and line goes out when tuna hit jigs and run.
As I said before, you don't see any anti-reverse failure problem if you use the drag under 18 lbs of the Torium.

Actually that was me, my previous comment was meant in the context of bait fishing, I guess I didn't make that clear. Last year someone used it for flat lining and it went off screaming , rather than pick it up out of the holder one of the guys just threw it in gear, it made a big cachunk sound, I cringed but nothing broke. Now that you explain it I guess I can see how someone could break the anti reverse by using very heavy line and a very tight drag. I use 65# on mine with fairly light drag, so far I haven't had any issues yet.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Jigalow,
I posted as I felt it is important to let other fishermen know the problem of the reel and fish within the capacity of the reel, not to lose their trophy tuna due to the failure of the reel.

When I sent an e-mail to Hawk of Allcost after I had the anti-reverse failure whiling fighing tuna with 22 lbs drag a few years ago, he suggested the same thing as you wrote as there was none who had the problem as I had at that time. Eventually many tuna fishermen who used heavy drag reported the same problem.

I never had an anti-reverse problem from all my jigging reels except Torium, but I like Torium a lot, better than Saltist.
I use it for seabass and cod jigging.

This post edited by KILSONG 08:19 PM 02/20/2008

·
Registered
509 Posts
stripedbassking - read the 10 days in texas thread...

and you'll see why many will hesitate to reccomend the torium or trinidad. i've used both 30's extensivly for tuna fishing and blow out the anti-reverse on the reeels at least once per season despite regular service.

this kind of failure rate costs much more than just the service charges... it means that you are without equipment at the height of the season, requiring purchase of alternates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.