NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys - looking to get a new Reel to compliment my Loomis greenwater - looking for size 5k and was wondering if anyone could offer and advice and pros. and cons comparing the shimano stradic 5000 and the new quantum cabo - about the same price - was wondering if anyone prefers one over the other and why?

thanks in advanced.

· Registered
165 Posts
I happen to have both a Cabo 40 pts and Stradic 5000 . Both are great reels . The Stradic is is a great overall reel, smooth in every which way, it is a true work horse. It's made with craftsmanship expected from shimano
Tha Cabos ceramic drag can stop a bus and won't overheat, it a smooth reel tough reel, but heavier than the Stradic of similar size.their customer service is great,as I scratched up one of the side plates and quantum sent me new one free of charge with only a few simple questions.

I have actively used both reels about 3 times weekly from April to December for the past 5 seasons without any issues. Both reels remain smooth and feel almost new.
I do service them at the end of each season.
I find the Cabo is easier to take apart and put back together when cleaning. The Stradic has almost double the parts.

Both reels are fished on 8 foot criox avids. I would not trade either reel for another. I would recommend going to a shop and holding both( even bring the rod you want to pair them up with). And see what you think. You won't go wrong with either reel.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks very much fishtank - very helpful - I currently have the stadic 5 and 6ks so its good to know that the cabo will fit a little heavier - I am pairing this w/ a avid surf 10ft rod as well - so ill go and try it on but I was thinking of putting either the cabo 5k or 6k on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.