NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a Stella & really beat on it or used it in tough conditions like Montauk. I just wanted to know if they hold up. I am looking to buy one & was wondering if they can take the abuse before I spend $500-$600 bucks. Any feedback please.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Personally---if I was gonna lay out that kind of escarole on a reel---I'd go with a VS. You don't have to wonder whether it's really waterproof.

If I wanted something with the smoothness of a Stella--I'd go with one of those TiCA Taurus reels. From what I can see inside, they're identical to a Stella with one big difference---the main drive gear on the Taurus is brass, not aluminum as the case with the Stella.

They're also $450 cheaper and probably just as "water resistant". Heck, a Penn 704 is "water resistant" even if it isn't packed with grease.

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
Hey Mike,
The price was right, a littli over 200 for a brand new 1000, but I will use that for fresh water.
I would tend to agree with you completely, I use vs for the salt, and I wish they made a vs 25 or vs 50 so I could use them all the time.

Happy New Year
Matt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention I am left handed. I used to use penn 750 & 850SS's, but that graphite body they use now scare me. I wish I could use a VS. They are great reels. I spoke to a distributor that I buy from all of the time & he sells both the Tica's & the Stella's & he told me they look similar, but are no way near the same. He has had plenty of returns with the Ticas & not the Stella's. I know the guy for a long time & he wouldn?t BS me. I just want to know if I can beat the crap out of them with out sending them back all of the time. Thanks for the feed back guys.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well--maybe the new owners will offer a lefty model VS. That would have been a smarter move than that $2,000 offshore abortion.

Koelwyn always said he'd build a lefty version when his left handed son was old enough to use one---and, I figure that kid must be about 15 now ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
the stella is a great piece of equipment,i own two(1000,4000) wich i use for steelhead, trout and fishing the keys. they make larger models , but i wouldnt be caught dead out in montauk in an all out striper blitz. my buddie has the 6000 and he has had it for 1 yr and already had to replace the arm and bail. go with the vs, i beat the **** out of it and its still pounding the stripers, in three months my vs will be after tarpon.. ..

dont forget to set the hook!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really hope VS makes a lefty version. I would buy one in a second. I guess I should just fish conventional. I use conventional most of the time, but you do need to spin fish from time to time. I was looking to buy the Stella 10000 Thanks for the replies.

This message was edited by [email protected]# on 1-4-02 @ 3:59 PM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.