NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Crazy,
I have a little Shimano Solstace (sp) that is great for bones and schoolies. My problem is that I got oil or grease on the drag felt pads and no matter how much I alcohol wipe them down i can't get the drag tightened enough (I was thinking of trying sticky wax next). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Don't try and clean them. Replace the drag washers. Nothing should ever really come in contact with any part of the drag system and once something like oil does there is usually no going back. There is some good news though. If you can get an after market drag assembly such as smoothies then the drag will be better than it ever was.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello KeithS,

Few years ago I had the same problem (moist & oil) with my Calcutta drag washers and I had to replace it!

Fencer4 is 100% correct! Don't try to clean it… once it is contaminated… it's not the same and you are better off replacing it!

If you feel frustrated, don't have the time… go to a reputable reel repair guy (see Gamakatsu's reply) or a tackle shop and let them deal with the headaches. :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
364 Posts
drag grease

Keith, buy some new washers and some Shimano drag grease. It's kinda sticky but gives great startup and you'll still get lockup and an even drag anywhere in between. Most washers need to be lubed as it sheds water and helps with startup. Dry washers work fine only for a few trips and then the salt contamination effects startup and smoothness. Try it! Prospector

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.