NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it feasible to use a Shimano Baitrunner for surfcasting with bait,leaving the rod in asand spike and in the bait running mode?Would there be enough tension on the line to keep it from pulling off the reel from the action of the waves,wind or current similiar to the action of the click drag on a conventional reel?If so I would surely get one.Thanks Fellas for your input on this.
Saxitilus

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've never owned a Baitrunner---but if I'm not mistaken, you can adjust the tension on the baitrunner feature via a dial on the back of the reel. So---you should be able to use it in all but the strongest surf and sweep conditions.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i have a 6500 shimano baitrunner reel which i use at floyd bennite field for those heafty blues. this means you can let the reel do it's job until you win the fight over the blue/stripers. i have no ploblem with the reel but just to heavy for surf casting, so the sand spike comes in handy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys for your input on the Baitrunner. I'm going to trythe 4500 in the surf this yearfor bait fishing.
Cat14361---What part of Floyd do you usually fish?I see where they closed off the area near the MPB since 9/11.Maybe I''ll see you there this Spring. Tight lines,Fellows

·
Registered
588 Posts
i am so gald that i could be of some help to you about everything, good choice on the 4500 s.b.r now what pole would you be using this with? holla back. i hope it's a graphite rod with a lot of back bone for those big blues but if not the s.b.r can handle the rest. let it ride...there are more than that spot near the m.p.b. which that spot is called the porch. next spot is called the ramp near the airlift for the airplanes. another spot there is hangar b. closer to your left facing cararsie pier but bring along some waders or long rubber boats. this spot at high tide lets water come over the wooden wall. i hope to see everyone there some day good buddy...cat

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cat14361---Iuse a 706z on a 11FT> Graphite rod I made for the surf at Ft. Tilden.I checked out theSBR Today At the tackle shop (4500) and it looks good.Imay opt for the larger one like yours(6500) since I'm use to a large Spinner and have large surf rods.
Billfish

·
Registered
588 Posts
i am so happy to know that you fish at my other spot ft.tilden. i fish there when all the other spot are crowded an i need time to think, just about fishing. i never thrown eels at this spot before but this is the year for everything. no let downs no nothing. time for me to catch that 50lbs. cow i am always looking foward to seeing!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Listen, you don't need a stupid baitrunner. keep the drag set tight with a low rig. You don't need free spool to catch stripers or blues. Use sharp hooks for the fish to hook themselves, re asure the hook set and keep a tight line. Any way if you really think free spool is going to help you catch fish, use a conventional.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To Surfjerk1,
You miss the point[No pun intended!] The reason that I would want a tensioned free spool when using a sand spike baitfishing in the surf is that I don't want my rod with atight drag set like you suggest suddenly take off for the deep blue yonder.Previous answers to my question seemed to fit the bill.Thank you for your response anyway.I appreciate the interest.
Saxitilus. [Billfish]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To Surfjerk1,
You miss the point[No pun intended!] The reason that I would want a tensioned free spool when using a sand spike baitfishing in the surf is that I don't want my rod with atight drag set like you suggest suddenly take off for the deep blue yonder.Previous answers to my question seemed to fit the bill.Thank you for your response anyway.I appreciate the interest.
Saxitilus. [Billfish]

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Shimao baitrunner is the way to go. My uncle was on a trip surf fishing, he had just gotten to his destination and cast his chunk. He set his rod in the sand spike and turned around to get something from his backpack. And he turned around to see his rod/reel gone and the sand spike lying flat on the ground pointing towards the water. ouch Keep in mind that he had just cast and set his rod down--less than one minute had passed. Bait runner is good for those of us who have not figured out how to properly cast with a conventional, which is most of us. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Topaz!I had the same experience as your Uncle while fishing at Cape Hatteras years ago ,only Iwas able to take a flying leap and land on my belly just as the ro d whized by me.I grabbed it and landed a 60lb.Cow- nose Sting ray!Ive also had a rod whip off a dock because I forgot to put the reel in free spool.Again I was lucky becauseby using another outfit Imanaged to snag the rig-sans fish.I grew up with conventional reels{Love the Squider}and once could cast further with them then with a spinner but time marches on and the spinning reels today are great but once in a while I''ll use the squider inthe surf.
I did get the Shimano 4500 BaitRunner and am anxious to try it in the surf with clams or bunker.For plugging with lures though I still prefer my trusty Penn 706z Manual!
Thanks for your answer. Tight Lines,Buddy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Topaz!I had the same experience as your Uncle while fishing at Cape Hatteras years ago ,only Iwas able to take a flying leap and land on my belly just as the ro d whized by me.I grabbed it and landed a 60lb.Cow- nose Sting ray!Ive also had a rod whip off a dock because I forgot to put the reel in free spool.Again I was lucky becauseby using another outfit Imanaged to snag the rig-sans fish.I grew up with conventional reels{Love the Squider}and once could cast further with them then with a spinner but time marches on and the spinning reels today are great but once in a while I''ll use the squider inthe surf.
I did get the Shimano 4500 BaitRunner and am anxious to try it in the surf with clams or bunker.For plugging with lures though I still prefer my trusty Penn 706z Manual!
Thanks for your answer. Tight Lines,Buddy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I own the 4500 and think it is incredibly versatile. I use it on the beach (w/ sand spike)and set the drag appropriately for the conditions. I also use it on the jetty, but usually switch to a smaller, less cumbersome rod. That baitrunner option also saved me during the Bluefish blitz we had in CT this November. If it weren't for the baitrunner, my pole would be swimming east of Bermuda by now.

Just a tidbit...I tried Okuna's version of the baitrunner. This reel has ten ball bearings and is incredibly smooth. I haven't heard specifics about the reel (i.e. longevity, maintenance, parts), but it was a joy to use.

Anybody out there using this type of Okuna reel?

Soundfisher

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.