NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could share any shark fishing tips. I just started sharking this year, I have read numerous reports of people at least seeing blue sharks all the time while sharking. This year out of 4 trips we were able to catch and release 1 mako at about 60lbs. That was the only shark spotted out of the three trips. If anyone can share any tips beyond the basics, I would appreciate it, thanks for any replies.
JB

· Registered
150 Posts
Two things, first of all:

make sure you keep the chum going at a constant rate the whole time. Ive seen many a people forget to continue to chum when a fish is near or there are no sharks around.

Second, don't through too many chunks or chum, hust enough to keep them interested.

good luck.

btw: A mako is a good start for a biginner in my books!

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll keep those things in mind, I'm happy with the start too, its just I read about how Blue sharks show up all the time and I wonder why I havent seen any. Thanks again.
JB

· Registered
620 Posts
If you caught the Mako you're doing something right. This has been a very slow year for sharking.Before the "Canyon" season started I was Sharking at least once a week and was skunked 2-3 times on my boat (Blue Ayes) at the Coimbria and Linda and a couple of times on the Tiger Lili with guys who have been Sharking 25 years. On a positive note, it seems more large threshers are being caught and I did have a 15-18 foot Great White swim along side my boat while cheking out my slick, and thats something I've never ever seen only heard about from the old timers. Anyway, steady non-stop chum, very light on the chunks, vary your depths maybe 20, 50 and a deep bait (threshers semmto like the deep ones, vary baits bluefish fillets,bluefish body (no head or tail) whole macs, bunker, live line a pesky bluefish that harasses your bait. Good Luck.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi JB
At the back of my website I have a section on shark fishing and rigging for sharks.

I didn't follow my own advice about two weeks ago left the chum cage on the dock, buoyed off the chum bag and went back up the slick for some big cod we had drifted over. A shark tore the bag to pieces while we were codfishing.

http://newenglandsharks.com

· Banned
3,311 Posts
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!

There are hundreds of things people can tell you to help you improve your catch. However, none of them are more important than being in the right place at the right time. If you want your boat surrounded by blue sharks, you better be make sure that you fish a location that is perfect in terms of water temps, depth, structure, and LIFE. Blue sharks are one of the dumbest animals on this planet. If they are present, it takes very little to bring them to the boat and to entice them to take your baits. The key is to find their food source and fish the productive waters around them. Also, don't believe everything you hear (some of the advice given to you right here is not exactly true).

LOCATION IS EVERYTHING. You can do everything wrong, but if you are in the right spot, you still have a great shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.