NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has some good stories about seeing or catching sharks inshore. I heard about a small mako being caught in FI Inlet a few years ago, and this year heard about a sandtiger caught off a beach. Not to mention all the little threshers around this year.

·
Registered
282 Posts
BOY DO I HAVE A STORY AND IT DOSEN'T BEGIN ONCE UPON A TIME AS SOME FISH STORIES SHOULD.
about 7 years ago i had gone bluefishing on one of the freeport party boats and i watched his course and remembered it well.he came out of jones inlet ran the beach west down to the pink hotel ,than turned left out to sea for about 7 miles,so two days later in my 17, mark twain bowrider with my son that was starting college in buffalo that year we headed of.
.the day was forecast for sultry weather it was august and the same weather was forecast for the next few days ,so i felt ok to make the run in a 17 footer. we left at about 4 am and set up a chum slick and caught bluefish on and off most of the day only my son had six and i had 1.well as it was now 1or 2 pm i was cleaning bluefish in the back of the boat and throwing the heads and guts into the chum slick not even thinking about it
the day was very hot over a hundred as i recall when my son said he was going to jump in to the water to cool off.i reminded him we were not in the long island sound and we had no idea what was swimming in our chum slick,well i put the fear of god in him and he doused himself with a bucket of water.
in the back of the boat i had two very large penn offshore rods and reels baited with whole butterfish and just after vinny put the water on his head one of these reels came to life not a fast furious run but a slow tick tick tick of the drag. as i went to pick thre rod out of the holder but before i ever touched it the fish was gone.i reeled in my bare hook rebaited and went back to cleaning fish.
when all of a sudden one of the bluefish rods rigged probably with 25lb test started humming,my son said he would get it and i told him to keep his hands off the rod as he had six fish in the boat and myself only one.
well i picked up the rod set the hook and out of the water came a triton missle.it jumped so high it cleared the water and then the most unbeleivable thing happened ,i was able to reel it to alongside the boat easier than a bluefish maybe easier than a porgy.anyway i had him right alongside the boat his tail even with yhe motor and his head by the windshield.so the way i see it from motor to windshield on a 17'bow rider this must have been a 12-14' fish.he was laying fairly docile when i told my son to hold the rod as i was going to gaff it and put it in the bowrider section.BOY WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN well anyway i got towards the front of him and started to swing the gaff when he sounded and went under the boat and came up on the other side again like a missle standing at least 3-4 maybe more aove me ,and i'm 6'1'',,
when he started shaking his body ,with one shake he was over the boat then away from the boat then over and then away as the line parted.THANK GOD. if the line would have parted while he was over the boat my son and i would have had to get out of it.

I SWEAR EVERY WORD I TOLD WAS THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

as an aside when we got to scottys tackle shop and told our story he said it was a mako because of the way it jumped. a cousin of mine who runs a charter out of freeport for offshore fish said it also could have been a blue shark
i myself would like to live with the memory of it being a MAKO

·
Registered
282 Posts
BOY DO I HAVE A STORY AND IT DOSEN'T BEGIN ONCE UPON A TIME AS SOME FISH STORIES SHOULD.
about 7 years ago i had gone bluefishing on one of the freeport party boats and i watched his course and remembered it well.he came out of jones inlet ran the beach west down to the pink hotel ,than turned left out to sea for about 7 miles,so two days later in my 17, mark twain bowrider with my son that was starting college in buffalo that year we headed of.
.the day was forecast for sultry weather it was august and the same weather was forecast for the next few days ,so i felt ok to make the run in a 17 footer. we left at about 4 am and set up a chum slick and caught bluefish on and off most of the day only my son had six and i had 1.well as it was now 1or 2 pm i was cleaning bluefish in the back of the boat and throwing the heads and guts into the chum slick not even thinking about it
the day was very hot over a hundred as i recall when my son said he was going to jump in to the water to cool off.i reminded him we were not in the long island sound and we had no idea what was swimming in our chum slick,well i put the fear of god in him and he doused himself with a bucket of water.
in the back of the boat i had two very large penn offshore rods and reels baited with whole butterfish and just after vinny put the water on his head one of these reels came to life not a fast furious run but a slow tick tick tick of the drag. as i went to pick thre rod out of the holder but before i ever touched it the fish was gone.i reeled in my bare hook rebaited and went back to cleaning fish.
when all of a sudden one of the bluefish rods rigged probably with 25lb test started humming,my son said he would get it and i told him to keep his hands off the rod as he had six fish in the boat and myself only one.
well i picked up the rod set the hook and out of the water came a triton missle.it jumped so high it cleared the water and then the most unbeleivable thing happened ,i was able to reel it to alongside the boat easier than a bluefish maybe easier than a porgy.anyway i had him right alongside the boat his tail even with yhe motor and his head by the windshield.so the way i see it from motor to windshield on a 17'bow rider this must have been a 12-14' fish.he was laying fairly docile when i told my son to hold the rod as i was going to gaff it and put it in the bowrider section.BOY WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN well anyway i got towards the front of him and started to swing the gaff when he sounded and went under the boat and came up on the other side again like a missle standing at least 3-4 maybe more aove me ,and i'm 6'1'',,
when he started shaking his body ,with one shake he was over the boat then away from the boat then over and then away as the line parted.THANK GOD. if the line would have parted while he was over the boat my son and i would have had to get out of it.

I SWEAR EVERY WORD I TOLD WAS THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

as an aside when we got to scottys tackle shop and told our story he said it was a mako because of the way it jumped. a cousin of mine who runs a charter out of freeport for offshore fish said it also could have been a blue shark
i myself would like to live with the memory of it being a MAKO

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Johnny B.
I remember about 3 or 4 years ago that a 300+lb mako was taken inside Debs inlet by a boater with a flying gaff not a rod.I remember something about some guys on jet skis were flying around in the area too.Hows that for inshore!!!
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
404 Posts
in the late sixties, the father of a friend was gillnetting around west island in great south bay where he netted a blue shark pup. it was so cute, at about 24 inches, that he had it mounted.

ya gotta wonder if it was born inside the bay.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
39 Posts
last summer in seaside NJ i was fishing off of a deep sea pier with mackrel over there the sand shark and dog fish along with skates are a dime a dozen i pulled about 18 sandshark in about an hour not to mention the baby blues and skates. they ranged in size from 12" to 4' and gave a nice fight for being as skinny as they were but the guy that owns the place has pictures of shark caught off of that pier that abywhere from 1 foot to 5 feet little makos and blue shark, there are also atlantic bottle nose dolphin and porpose swiming around there. The crazy part is there were guys surfing and paddleing out past our lines and we were pulling shark out from under them i figure where the babies are the mammas aren't far behind.

·
Registered
39 Posts
last summer in seaside NJ i was fishing off of a deep sea pier with mackrel over there the sand shark and dog fish along with skates are a dime a dozen i pulled about 18 sandshark in about an hour not to mention the baby blues and skates. they ranged in size from 12" to 4' and gave a nice fight for being as skinny as they were but the guy that owns the place has pictures of shark caught off of that pier that abywhere from 1 foot to 5 feet little makos and blue shark, there are also atlantic bottle nose dolphin and porpose swiming around there. The crazy part is there were guys surfing and paddleing out past our lines and we were pulling shark out from under them i figure where the babies are the mammas aren't far behind.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Growing up in Florida, I spent many a night shark fishing off the beaches of SE Florida. We would use a small row boat to carry our baits about 200 - 400 yards off the beach where we anchored them with a cement block. The block was tied to about 10 feet of 20 pound test that was tied to the hook. When the shark bit the bait, he would cut the brick loose. I don't know if there was ever a night when we did not get at least one shark and on a good night we could get 5 or more. We caught many types of sharks from 50 pound blacktips to a hammerhead that was over 700 pounds. During August when the turtles were hatching, we would get a lot of big bull sharks up to about 350 pounds. A friend of mine supposedly landed a 900 pound tiger shark from Melbourne Beach, but he was never known for telling the truth. Everytime we went there was a different story and I can't begin to tell all of them. Probably the funniest one that I remember is about friend of mine that on a good day weighed about 135 pounds. He hooked a large shark on a Penn 10/0 Seantor loaded with 100 pound test and sat down in the sand to do battle. While he was fighting it, the drag froze and he started getting dragged into the water until we grabbed a hold of him and his rod. Unfortunately, the line parted and we never had a chance to see the mighty beast.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Alan,

It has been at least 10 years since the last time that I went, but I hear through the grapevine that a new generation of "beach rats" is still catching them with regularity. One of the biggest problems is the availiblity of beaches where shark fishing is legal, although it never really stopped us. You see, tourism and sharks on the beach don't mix. I must admit that just thinking about it is making me want to buy a jon boat and head south...

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Back in the late 60s when I used to go shark fishing We had a small mako, about 130 lbs. take an 80lb rig. The guy on the rod cranked it right up to the boat and one of my ****pit cowboys stuck a straight gaff in it. Thats when the fun started. The fish went off like a rocket up into the air on the end of this six ft. gaff, he arched over and landed in the ****pit. Now I've got 4 guys trying to join me on the bridge, all trying to get up the same ladder. Talk about a Chinese fire drill. We spent 20 minutes watching this fish destroy the ****pit of my boat.

When I was a kid we used to jack light crabs and eels on the flats off Fire Island and it was not uncommon to see small hammerheads (3 to 4ft.)cruising around scarfing up crabs.

This message was edited by spygull on 11-13-01 @ 4:39 PM

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Gammy,
Thanks for the comeback. Being Fla. has a high shark attack rate so to speak , guess it makes sense that theres good sharkin close to the beaches. I'd love to try surf fishing for shark, what a cool thing it must be to fight a shark from the beach , Wow !
My guess is the lifeguards wouldnt approve of the chumslick though.
Alan

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Alan,

No chumslick required. Simply row your bait out at sunset (barracuda, bonita and jacks are best), put your rod in a sand spike, drink your beer of choice and wait for a "screamer". When we used to fish Sebastian Beach, we would spend the day gathering clams in the Indian River and then have a clam bake on the beach while waiting for a "big bite". Ahhhhhhh the good ole days.

Gamakatsu

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.