NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big porbeagle shark estimated at 600 lbs was caught by free gaffing on the Helen H last week.
I am wondering why we don't catch many sharks on jigs on the East Coast while some shark species in other parts of world eagerly take jigs.

Here is the picture of porbeagle shark caught on the Helen H.

·
Registered
173 Posts
When I was in Cabo in Nov. I jigged about a 30lb Mako on a 6 oz hammered jig. There were quite a few makos underneath all the Striped Marlin at the Golden Gate. If you got your bait below the Marlin the Makos were there waiting.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would suspect that more sharks are not caught on jigs because of the way a sharks mouth is in relation to its nose compared to a groundfish.

I have caught dogfish with a jig but it has been because I had put bait on the hook. I have always wondered what was on the other end of my line when I was bit off with a jig though:)HB

·
Registered
826 Posts
Anyone...

Notice the gaff hooks hanging out of the shark that have been broken off! looks like they have experiences a nice loss of gaff hooks for this shark!! That is a FATTY!!!

Pretty amazing they got it done!

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hairbone wrote:
I would suspect that more sharks are not caught on jigs because of the way a sharks mouth is in relation to its nose compared to a groundfish.

I have caught dogfish with a jig but it has been because I had put bait on the hook. I have always wondered what was on the other end of my line when I was bit off with a jig though:)HB

When I jigged bluefin tuna in Cape Cod Bay, I couldn't get away from dogfish as they hit my jigs whenever and whereever I dropped.

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Sportfishingusa wrote:
Notice the gaff hooks hanging out of the shark that have been broken off! looks like they have experiences a nice loss of gaff hooks for this shark!! That is a FATTY!!!

Pretty amazing they got it done!

Looks like a flying gaff to me. Notice the yellow rope leading right to the gaff head. Who'd want to stick a shark that big with a straight gaff?

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MakoMatt wrote:
Kil, was the fish pregnent? Looks very fat.

MakoMattI don't know because I was not there and I seldom see big sharks caught.

This post edited by KILSONG 04:14 PM 01/14/2008

·
Registered
293 Posts
im sure there are plenty of sharks that hit the jigs but without wire they are broken off and you never know what hit it. we had a 200lb mako hit a crippled herring two years ago but broke off after a few jumps.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
when on a HH trip this past fall, a est. 200 lb mako hit a jig norweigian style and was caught. We thought it was a tuna the way it came up so quickly and it wasgaffed quickly and brought into the boat.

The HH frequently free gaffs porbeagals in the late fall and winter and after it is free gaffed is quickly hit with the flyer. This is what usually happens

·
Registered
689 Posts
I remember a few years ago dropping down a jig while shark fishing at the first finger off of Montauk. Some people call this Jenny's horn because it says so on the northstar chart plotter. Any way it was a day with no drift and our chum was going straight down. I am to lazy to write it over again but I will post my report from that day. I think it was Summer 2005 or so.

Fished Sat. 7/30 with John MC and Paulie. We trolled for Tuna about Eight miles South East of the point. We saw Tunas jumping when we first stopped. The waster looked nice, good temperature break and draggers working. We trolled for two and a half hours without a bite or a knock down. Changed lures speed location and still nothing. Chatter on the radio reflected the same results for most others.

Ran 12 more miles South East and put out a shark slick and baits. The drift was very slow and there were little signs of life. At about three thirty, out of desperation and curiosity I pulled out a very large metal jig that I have had on the boat for years and can't remember ever catching any thing on it. I can't remember the brand but it was Norwegian. I think it may be used for cod. I tied it to eighty pound test on a rod with a Penn 50. I was planning to drop it to the bottom a couple of times, and if nothing happened, go home. It stops and doesn't seem to be two hundred feet down and drifts under the boat. I bring the rod to the starboard from the port and it is still under the boat but at least 100 feet of line out. I start to reel it in and a feel the weight of a fish. I pull hard and try to muscle it from under the boat and it takes off. I have John start the engine and engage the tiller arm. After a couple on sharp turns and maneuvers we get the fish out from under the boat and the fight really starts. The thing almost spooled us twice and we had to chase it in forward several times. We never really got in under control to were in would be a tug of war. After about 20 minutes the line frayed and we lost it. About ten feet of the mono was abraded and rough, it may have been some kind of shark.

Anyway it kicked our ass but we had some excitement. We put out the shark baits again for a little while and then went humbly home.

This post edited by MistyTom 07:58 PM 01/14/2008

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.