NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished for Shad on Sunday a couple of miles up from Barryville. The river was high and the water was a little cold. Did not catch any Shad nor did anyone else I spoke to. It was a beautiful day, great to be outside! I did see a Bald Eagle flying along the surface of the water, he didn't catch anything either. As the weather warms you should start catching.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the mighty delaware

if you thought the water was high then
well you should see it now.......been
raining since late saturday nite and
all day sunday and today...more due on
tuesday. going to need several days of
sunshine before the shad start to move
up. same high water levels for the trout
fishing in troutown, usa
suppose to be partly cloudy on wedsnday
with alot of wind. i'm situated halfway
between delaware river and troutown rest
assured the fishing will get better.....
tightlines....

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Shad ,Shad everywhere I look Shad

You guys upstate want to know where your shad is ?
Theyve made thier way to long Island, Jones Inlet and are blitzing the spearing.
I caught 3 today and some stripers underneath, man I havent seen so much shad before in this area before, ever!
Inlet is full of them, bridges and the bluefish havent shown up in big #'s yet to take care of them.
Everytime I turn around the last 3 weeks someone's pulling up a shad.
Come on down, theres plenty to go around!
By the way how do they taste, any recipes?
thanks, Alan

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Cap, ya sure ?

I admit I know little about these fish but I heard these shad around JI are the same fish from the rivers?
there both { forgot the word} fish that live in both fresh & salt water ?
Tryed eating one today, it was the best tasting fish you couldnt eat, thousands of pin like bones, but the flesh I tasted before choking on 2 bones was mighty tasty. alan

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes both Hickory and American Shad can live in fresh or saltwater. Just like stripers, salmon, and even trout. However in April and May American Shad are making their spawning runs up the Hudson and Delaware Rivers. So if your catching shad in JI they are Hickory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.