NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in trying to turn some wooden fishing plugs. I would be using common varieties soft to hard woods 4-10" long by 1 1/2 to 2 1/2" diameter max. I have been looking for a Dremel wood lathe, I know that they've been discontinued but I figured that someone might have a used one in good shape or would know where I could find one (used or new). I've exhausted of all my Internet and phone mania searches so if anyone knows of a source I would appreciate it. If all else fails, I would even consider an inexpensive tabletop lathe or one of those power drill converter units. I appreciate any help that anyone can offer... Thanks!

Richard

><}}}}'>

· Registered
64 Posts
lathe

I have seen many of the dremels on e-bay but they seem a little small. I checked yardsales and found 3 in a week. I finally picked up a real beauty for $125. complete with tools and a stand. It is definitely overkill for plugs but for the money I couldn't go wrong. Take your time and I bet you'll find a deal too.

· Registered
6 Posts
Nightcaster;

Check out Grizzly.com You can get a new table top there for around $125 and they are pretty good machines. I don't know what your limit would be, but you might want to also check out a company called Fisch. I just picked one up and they are very good machines. Cost is around $280 for the 'Turning Center'.

Once you start turning plugs, your probably going to find out you enjoy turning wood, and might like to do other lathe projects. Don't limit yourself if you can afford it. Get a better machine (one capable of a taking a bed extension, etc), so if in the future you want to add you can.

If you need any other help, just ask.

Good Luck!
johnny

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm not only limited by what I'm looking to spend, but I live in a rather small one bedroom apartment so obviously a workshop sort of unit would not be a wise choice. I've been checking garage sales, flea markets, e-bay and the like. It seems like this is one of those things that you always see around except for when you actually want one. I'll definitely check out the Home Depots.

Thanks again,

Richard

><}}}}'>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.