NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Capt.Neil,my name is Marco,I am in the process of putting together an offshore set-up. So far I have 4 Penn International 30's with Tiburon frames and 4 Shimano Tiagra 50WLRS's. I am looking for quality rods to complete my set-up. I was told that Seeker rods are the best of the best.What do you think? Any suggestions you might have will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Marco.

I have built off shore rods using Seeker, Calstar and Lamiglas blanks.

Lamiglas was graphite and the others were composite blanks (graphite and fiberglass combined.

Of the model blanks I used for 50 # standup, I found the Seeker to be more flexible in the top section.The Calstar was less flexible and would have better lifting power.

In the trolling class rods I built on Calstar and Lamiglas. Both companies blanks will stand up to very heavy durress. Lamiglass is somewhat heavier.

Never having caught BIG tuna, I don't know if I want to be on the boat that has a 130 # troll rod bending. The stress on every component of the rod, boat and fisherman must be enormous.
Are you looking at store bought or custom rods? If I may let me plug custom. A custom rod will be designed for you and your needs. The length of the rod, length of fore grips and the type of belt you use will make a big difference. Designed properly you will be able to boat fish faster and with less hurt on your body.

Always remember it is leverage system that marries the size of the angler and the length of the rod.

I have a completed 50 # Seeker composite and the Calstar 50 # composite will be completed before the Federation Show in Freeport. These are my demo rods that I loan to customers. It is very nice to be able to try them and make a more informed decision.

Marco, rod types and actions preferred wary from fisherman to fisherman. There are many choices.

I hope this post gives you some insight for your needs. If I can be of further assistance please contact me.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

This message was edited by Capt Neil on 12-7-01 @ 7:47 AM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.