NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent two days in Naragansett at the GF Sector Management workshop. As a word to the wise, this movement has gained a tremendous head of steam and is likely to be forced down our throats regardless of what is and isn't known about it. There are only two active sectors on the East coast, but "applications" for 17 (or 19, I forget which) additional in front of the New England Council.

Amazingly - to me, at least - people were talking seriously about recreational fishing sectors as well.

From what I understand, sectors would provide limited benefits (a sector could catch its allocated quota when/how it wished), with a whole bunch of downside including increased bureaucracy, increased industry cost, increased shared liability, a lot of displacement of effort and the antis perhaps able to own "conservation" quota.

Keep your eyes on this one, folks, 'cause it could impact us all, and very possibly not in many ways that any of us would appreciate. And you won't have to be in the groundfish fishery to feel the impacts.

This post edited by NilsS 04:24 PM 01/18/2008

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Been going of for almost a year now. Once the word got out that the council was thinking about sectors everyone and his nrother joined a group and the group applied for sector status. I think the New Bedfor quilting society applied for sector status! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not the NBQS owning quota that bothers me, it's the Conservation Law Society and Environmental Defense.

Actually, I think a lot of the fishermen are considering forming sectors not because they want to, not because they think it's a good idea, but only so they don't get left out. And I can't fault them on their reasoning.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sounds like an auction of commercial fishing rights

Enviromental solution to junk science.

I don't like the way it sounds. It's bad enough they use junk science to ram BS regulations down the fishermens throats. Now they don't even have to worry about using science, junk or otherwise. They just buy the right to close fishing.

Who ever said that I was 100% against commercial fishing? I feel bad for you guys.

Looneytunes
Dave

This post edited by LooneyTunes 10:56 PM 01/18/2008

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.