NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need info on fishfinders good for seakayaks. These are my particulars:

1. Because I fish from a sit-in and go far enough offshore and often fish in "conditions", I need a waterproof unit. Some places, like Monomoy Island, Cape Cod, my deck is almost constantly awash with breaking waves and chop.

2. I need a unit that doesn't require a massive bracket, as too much weight high on my deck makes my boat unstable.

3. I need a unit that's not cheesy and won't fail after one season's use.

Any of guys have good suggestions?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Adam, I looked at a site abt kayak rigging you made a while back, I think you're paddling wood. That would eliminate firing the tranny thru the hull like tupperware. RAM makes a nice bracket for putting the sonar unit on the deck, check them out. I thought the Garmin 240 was a good unit but I'm waiting to see how Joey makes out with a sideshooting unit he's installing, I'm sure he'll tell you about it. I think side shooters make sense for most of the water I fish.
Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I paddle wood

Hi Weasel,
yeah, I paddle a wooden kayak. I thought I could mount the transducer waterside of the hull with one of those suction cup units. Side-scan sounds good, too. I fish mostly blues, stripers, and bonito. So any input along those lines would be helpful.
Adam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fishfinders on a Yak

Hi, Adam... I use an Eagle FishEZ, and have used this FF on a Heritage Sea Dart, both on the TX coast, and the NC coast. I have found it to be a good tool. It has a bracket for deck mounting, but can be easily removed from the bracket and stored. As I'm using a plastic boat, I've used a through hull config, but think you could use a stick on cup mount for the transducer and make out OK.

This is my second post here, I mostly read, as I live in TX now, but grew up in E. Islip and fished many of the areas you all post about.

Regards,

JB

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I paddle wood also

Those suction cup mounts will work, the alternative might be to make a solid epoxy "window' thru the hull and mount the tranny inside over this spot. I'm not sure how much drag you add with a suction mount but it I've been holding off to see how the side scan works out. One thought was to mount a side scan tranny as if it was a rudder (or maybe IN a rudder), including controls so you can aim it. Drag aft would seem to have least negative effect on handling and could be a tip up mount so you avoid damage landing it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am now using a hummingbird portable unit with I have been pretty rough on for 3 years and seems to working fine, I did use it with the suction cup on the side but the drag on the yak pissed me off, so I mounted the tranducer on the inside with and it has worked fine. I still have yet to install my new side finder but I know how I am going to do it and might work with it this weekend.
Also seems you can go wrong with a the new hummingbird portable-it seems compact and I think 8 AAA batteries run the thing for 40 hours. We are waiting on some of the RAM-mounts for electronics, I think its the way to go because you can take it off and on so easily.

kayayfishingstuff.com

·
Registered
315 Posts
Magilla, what kind do you want? I can get any. I'm gokng to get the side finder model also as we fish so much shallow water that shooting odwn 5 feet isn't going to show much but shooting out in a 240' diameter circle will.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Build your own 38-pound kayak in one week

The Essex Shipbuilding Museum in Essex, Massachusetts is giving two seakayak building classes this year.

In one week you can build a fast, light, seaworthy seakayak you can take home and fish from. These boats are pretty, weigh almost half the weight of a plastic boat, and are fast. They're long, 16 or 17 feet, and are sit-ins.

Anyways, here's the weblink: (I also happen to be the instructor)

www.geocities.com/seakayakbuild

Or you can check the designer's website at clcboats.com --- the lChesapeake 16/17 model is the boat you'd build.

Class is fast-paced, intensisve, and designed for first-time builders....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Magilla, that one sounds very cheap. A floating transducer isn't the way to go. Most guys mount the transducer in the hull because shooting through plastic is like water. This won't work for the side finder but the 1200 is no longer available.

I'll look throught the catalogs for a portable, waterproof unit and get back to you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
JonSS... When you say "shooting through the hull, do you mean it is easy to drill holes" or you mean you can just put the transducer in the hull, inside the boat, and the thing will work right through the boat? Have you tried that yet? I'm curious to see if that would really work. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.